Nudge Challenge Week 62 = Simplicity

NUDGED: "Increase simplicity in my life"

BACKSTORY: Perfect timing to work on this nudge during the week of Christmas! This holiday is not about all the gifts, parties, food, and music...but a baby born in a manager. We make it so complicated and stressful. In the process, we lose sight of the most important thing when filled with many other good things.

My goal this week was to find ways to increase simplicity (and decrease stress!). I make things too complicated! 

QUOTE: "Simplicity is the essence of happiness." - Cedric Bledsoe

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I was surprised to discover simpler ways of doing tasks this week and had many good outcomes with my changes. Here's a few of my favorite happenings:


The hard way: Agonizing to decide specific 2020 goals within my yearly theme and trying to come up with answers for the goals template I found online (where I want to go, what I want to learn, etc.). This felt harder than it needed to be!
  • Simpler way: I decided not to make sub-goals but let my big word for the year guide me instead. I will be open to go where it leads. I instantly felt relieved. 

The hard way: There is a piece of gym equipment in the weight room that I want to use (I think!) but I'm not sure how to use it. I don't know what it is called either but I spent time trying to Google it and find videos for how to use it. Unsuccessful.
  • Simpler way: I asked the gym staff member (a personal trainer) to show me how to use it. It was a quiet night at the gym and he wasn't very busy. He was happy I asked and showed me how to use it, then coached me on my technique as I tried it out. Asking was much easier!

The hard way: I get too many emails in an old, personal email account and end up deleting many of them without reading them first.
  • Simpler way: I unsubscribed from various emails that I don't want to receive instead of deleting. It didn't immediately fix my problem, but it will make things easier in the long-term. 

The hard way: I love listening to books on tape, especially while I am driving. I have been checking out audiobooks on CD from the library for this purpose.
  • Simpler way: I downloaded my library's new app for audiobooks and can now listen to them on my phone and in the car! It saves me time from going to the library and I can listen to them anywhere. It also has over 35,000 titles right now so I have plenty of options!

LESSONS LEARNED: It may sound simple (ha!) but there is more than one way to do things. I tend to overly complicate things and think that there is only one way. There isn't. When feeling stressed, I am now motivated to look for a way to simplify the situation to decrease my stress level.  And sometimes it means giving up good things in favor of the most important thing. 


NEXT UP: Now that I have been getting back into the habit of going to the gym regularly and know how to use a piece of strength training equipment, I am ready to tackle the nudge for the week: "focus on strength". YES! My goal for awhile has been to complete a pull-up. I know I am not able to achieve this in one week (as I haven't made much progress in two years!) but I hope that by working on it to the best of my ability, I will remind myself it is possible and can happen in the near future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy