Nudge Challenge Week 59 = Love the Planet

NUDGED: "Be environmentally friendly"

BACKSTORY: I care about the environment, but sometimes my actions don't match my beliefs. I use plastic baggies for single use regularly, and take (then throw away) too many napkins from restaurants. I use paper towels way more often than cloth towels. I realized there is a lot of room for improvement in my lifestyle, and wanted to see what would happen if I made some changes. Could small changes in one week add up to something significant? What are other ways that I can do my part for the environment? 

QUOTE: 
recycling - do your part!


HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: Since I'm feeling listy....

I made many small adjustments over the course of a week, including:
  • not using a straw at a restaurant
  • took my lunch to work every day instead of driving home
  • used containers for bringing food and snacks to work instead of single-use plastic baggies
  • brought my own bowls and silverware to avoid plastic ones
  • drank water from reusable bottle instead of plastic bottles
  • saved gas by not driving home for lunch
  • didn't use excess napkins at a food place
  • used a towel to clean up a spill instead of a paper towel
  • carpooled when I had the opportunity (twice this week)
  • recycled two empty toilet paper rolls instead of throwing them into the garbage
I brainstormed other ways to be environmentally friendly:
  • turn off lights when I am not in the room
  • eat leftovers and food before it goes bad to avoid throwing it away
  • stack my errands and do them at one time to use gas efficiently
  • go paperless - receive statements and bills via email
  • minimize buying and eating pre-packaged food
  • re-purpose items instead of replacing them
Pros I noticed from my efforts this week: it felt good to help the environment, and I saved money and gas.

Cons I noticed: it was an inconvenience at times (took more time to pack lunches and wash containers) and I didn't feel like I was making a big difference.

LESSONS LEARNED: Does it help in the grand scheme of things? I don't know. My one straw saved at a restaurant is probably negated by big restaurants giving straws with every drink (many thousands a day). But, for my conscience, knowing that I did the right thing to help the environment is rewarding. I feel the same way about adopting pets from animal shelters - I can't save every dog but I can impact the life of one. I don't want to overlook the small things that are in my control because I feel overwhelmed by the big picture. This week, I resolved to continue to do my part and know it is worth it.

NEXT UP: The new nudge selected this morning is "Say 'yes' to something new". Hmmm...... We'll have to see what happens!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy