Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

NUDGED: "Have lunch outside"

BACKSTORY: I would say that I eat 98% of my meals indoors. It's not that I don't like having picnics, it's just that I don't think of the outdoor option when I am hungry. I'm not a fan of bugs or temperature fluctuations either, which may be additional reasons I eat inside most of the time. This nudge is intended to get me out of my temperature-controlled, bug-free, comfort zone and into nature.

QUOTE:
Picture with a quote to move out of your comfort zone


HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I was really apprehensive about completing this nudge and initially came up with a bunch of excuses before trying it. It will be too cold this week. It is too windy. We don't have chairs set out on our back deck yet. On and on....until I told my husband about the nudge and he helped me.

On Sunday, hours after drawing this "impossible" nudge, we decided to grab lunch. We picked up Chinese food at a grocery store (they have excellent teriyaki chicken!) and my husband came up with a good plan just after ordering. On a whim, he asked for silverware and napkins, then sent me into the grocery store to purchase two drinks and dessert. We were going to have a picnic!

It was a beautiful, sunny day. We sat on a large, flat rock at Falls Park and enjoyed our lunch together. We saw many other families having lunch outside there too, all with lots of space between each group. It was great to see the community come out again after being quarantined at home. Our food was delicious and I really enjoyed the beautiful scenery around me as I ate (including my good-looking hubby!). The food tasted better than I remembered too.

Picture of Carrie at the Falls having a picnic
A picnic at the Falls with the hubby! So fun!

LESSONS LEARNED: Do more spontaneous things. We didn't plan to have a picnic that day, but it was a simple thing we could do to make our day more fun. Life can feel monotonous during the social isolation, so it is important to add in fun things too (when done in a healthy and safe way!).

NEXT UP: "Drive a new street/area" is my nudge for the coming week. I can do this from the safety of my car. There are many areas of my city that I don't go very often. It will get me out of my comfort zone to go somewhere new and check on construction projects too! I just hope I don't get lost. :)

REMINDER: One of my past nudges featured this week on the original 52Nudges blog. This is so exciting for me! Check it out!

Comments

  1. This is great! Where do you get these nudges? I am going to subscribe to this blog. I'm living the atypical child-free life too and have been trying to do things out of my comfort zone. Just started a podcast where my first episode really focuses on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading and commenting! I was inspired after reading Kathleen Guthrie Woods' 52Nudges blog. I started my list with many of the ideas from her original list - found at http://kathleen-ink.com/the-list/. I then added my own nudges of things I have always wanted to do, things I enjoyed as a child/teen, and suggestions from others. I continue to keep adding more nudges as I think of them. It has really gotten me out of my comfort zone and I have found more joy in my life as a result. What is your podcast? I would love to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reply. I will have to check her blog out. I want to come up with some similar nudges. My podcast is A Drop in the Cloud. You can find links to it on my blog through my profile or any place you listen to podcasts.

      Delete
    2. Great! I will check it out. Good luck with your nudges!

      Delete
  3. Glad I could nudge you into your nudge!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy