Announcing My Word for 2020

(Caution....long post ahead! Get comfy!)


For the past decade, I have selected a word/phrase as my “resolution” to work on each year. Each theme was meaningful to me and guided me throughout the year. I never know what I will learn or where it will take me, but am always amazed at the end of the year when I look back at how much I have grown.

My phrase for 2019 was “Be Brave” and it has been another big year for me. I have a long list of the many brave things that I did that were out of my comfort zone. I am so proud of myself! While the year and theme may be soon over, each word/phrase has always stuck with me afterward. I will continue to be brave!

But it's almost time to start a new word.....

In the fall, I start contemplating the new word/phrase for the upcoming year.  I started by making a list of words as possibilities, then prayed about it a lot. I look for a word that will challenge me and excite me. For the upcoming year, I kept circling around the words “happiness,” “joy” and “excitement,” but none of them felt right. I stopped thinking about it, then it came to me.

I was walking out of the bathroom when the right word popped in my head suddenly: passion. I got the goosebumps and knew instantly that was the word I was searching for.

I want to find more passion in all areas of my life – my faith and prayer life, my hobbies, my marriage and my relationships, my body, and my work.

There is energy in the word “passion” for me.

Why passion? After many painful years of infertility, followed by many years of grief and working through my feelings, I finally am getting back to having passion for my life. All the grief and sadness made my emotions feel raw and exposed, so my feelings got numbed to protect myself. I don’t experience a full range of emotions any more, but it is starting to come back. I want to live fully again and want 2020 to be year of a resurrection for my emotions.  

Why passion? I don't get to my hobbies much as I stay busy with other tasks on my to-do list first, then am too tired to do anything fun. I see others around me invest their time in their hobbies and things that bring them joy. They make the time. I want to be more passionate about actually doing my hobbies. This also means I will say no to other obligations that do not bring me joy to make more time for things that I do enjoy.

Why passion? I want to be more passionate in worship and prayer. My spiritual life has been growing due to some brave steps I took this year and I want to continue the forward progress. I want to worship free of inhibition and pray bold prayers.

Why passion? I want more passion in my marriage. I want to prioritize date nights and doing fun things together. In addition, I want to love others well too, including my family, friends, and the little ones that God has placed in my life.

Why passion? I want to have passion for my body and see what it is capable of. I want to do what is best for my body, making sure to get enough exercise, eat healthy foods, drink enough water and rest. I want to feel proud about what I can do and what I look like. I also want to follow my instincts and pursue what feels “warm” or has energy behind it. 

Why passion? I am inspired by people who are passionate and it shows in how they live their lives. I have also seen people who are not passionate about anything, even when they are very talented in a certain area. Living life with passion seems much more fulfilling and fun to me!

Wow, that seems like a lot to ask for in one year. I don’t know what is going to happen, but I am excited to find out!

Goodbye 2019, and welcome 2020! I hope it will be a fun, and passionate, year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy