Nudge Challenge Week 60 = Say Yes

NUDGED: "Say 'yes' to something new"

BACKSTORY: The idea for this nudge came from Kathleen Guthrie Woods' original list of 52Nudges. I had excellent timing as she drew and worked on the same nudge this week in her 52Nudges project re-launch. I was curious to see what she said yes to this week!

In addition, I have been inspired by the book "The Year of Yes" that I read at the beginning of 2019. The author Shonda Rhimes wrote about how she changed her life by saying yes. I am curious to see how my life changes by being brave (my yearly theme!) and agreeing to new things out of my comfort zone.

QUOTE: "Say yes to the situations that stretch you and scare you and ask you to be a better you than you think you can be." - Annie Downs, "Let's All Be Brave"

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK:

I said "yes" to changing our plans for Christmas and deciding to travel to see family instead of staying home (the original plan). Family was all going to come to our house for Thanksgiving this year but our plans were cancelled due to the uncooperative weather. Traveling now means we will be spending money on hotel, gas, and puppy camp, but seeing family over the holidays is worth it! 

I said "yes" to installing new apps on my phone - the library eBook app and new audiobook app, and a grocery app. I am hesitant to add more apps on my cell phone as I don't want to be chained to it all the time, but think the convenience of the apps will be great! 

I said "yes" to making stained glass reindeer in a Community Education class this week. We signed up for the class months ago (the original yes) but I continued to get out of my comfort zone when it came to actually making the project. For the first time in my life, I cut glass and carved it to create round faces, buffed it and soldered it. It was so much fun!

three cute reindeer made in class
The three reindeer I made in class turned out well!

I said "YES!!" enthusiastically to attending two upcoming concerts in my city, both favorite Christian bands of mine. It was easy to say yes!

I said "yes" to upgrading to a new cell phone, new case (out of my normal choices), and tried a new ice cream flavor afterward to celebrate (peppermint hot chocolate blizzard). It is always a little challenging starting over with a new cell phone to learn how it works and get logged in to all your apps again, but our old phones were not working well so it was easy to say "yes" and tackle something new!

LESSONS LEARNED: Saying "yes" was much easier than I thought it was going to be. But, I actually didn't always say "yes" to new things this week. I said "no" to some things as well. I was able to discern when to say "yes" and when to say "no", based off my past experiences and my interests. I am set in my ways and that's a good thing. :)  I know which opportunities to say yes to and which to decline. What a gift!

NEXT UP: I just selected the nudge that I will be working on this week, Week 61 of my Nudges Project (what?!). It is "do something that scares me". Ha! I feel like I have been doing this all year with my year theme of "be brave" and for the past 60 weeks with nudges. I will continue to be on the lookout for ideas and something that I am afraid to try...then do it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy