Nudge Challenge Week 58 = Hip Mobility

NUDGED: "Research hip mobility"

BACKSTORY: I have been hearing a lot about "hip mobility" in online fitness groups and knew it was something that I wanted to look into. I added researching it on my to-do list, but never get around to actually doing it. I knew it could help me to squat lower and be more flexible. Beyond that, I didn't know much about it! It's time to move research on hip mobility to the top of my list, then take action on what I learn. The exercises could be uncomfortable, which is exactly what this nudge project is created to do - get me uncomfortable and trying new things!

QUOTE: "To be outstanding, get comfortable with being uncomfortable." - Alrik K Andenburg

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: What did we do before the internet?! It is so easy to research any topic for a plethora of ideas and videos. I only had to do a quick internet search before I came up with plenty of resources.

I learned that sitting much of the time (working a desk job) contributes to stiffness and a limited range of motion in your hips and lower back. Working on hip mobility helps to ensure lower squats, gives better form with movements, and strengthens muscles that are not used frequently. This is important for me as I don't have great form while squatting and I want to prevent injury.

"Improving hip mobility will not only increase athletic performance, but can also help prevent lower back pain or injury and boost explosive movements." - Shelley Harper at BridgeAthletic

I watched some online videos on how to do targeted stretches for my hip-flexors and then tried the movements myself. It felt uncomfortable while I was doing them but afterward I felt much better. As with all stretches, I'm sure it will get easier the more I do the stretches regularly. It definitely gave me new things to consider with having good form and posture.

LESSONS LEARNED: 1) Watch my form and do stretches regularly to strengthen areas that are not used frequently to prevent injury.   2) When I come across a topic I am interested in, instead of adding it to my to-do list for later and ignoring it for months (ha!), I should research it while I am excited about it. Follow my passions!

NEXT UP: The next nudge is "be environmentally friendly". What a challenge! It is something I have been feeling guilty about recently and knew I needed to make some changes. This nudge will ensure I will do something about it! For example, I take my lunch to work in plastic baggies that I throw away after one use. I use way too many one-use paper towels and napkins. It may not be as convenient, but I need to reduce waste and think long-term.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy