Nudge Challenge Week 74 = Yoga

Note: In light of the current global crisis with COVID-19, I thought about suspending this personal Nudges Challenge project. It seems so unimportant when there are matters of a deadly disease being passed around the world. But, I think it is important to maintain some aspects of my normal life and is one thing I can continue to do for my own mental health. I will be continuing on with the nudges then, but making adjustments per safety guidelines (social distancing, etc.). Stay safe everyone! 

NUDGED: "Try doing yoga at home one time"

BACKSTORY: Good timing on this nudge as I can't go to the gym right now! I have gone to yoga classes in the studio before, but haven't tried it at home even though I have all the equipment. I am curious to see if it will be the same with an online instructor. Will I continue the practice? Will I prefer the class with other people?

QUOTE:  



HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: Per recommendations from an online fitness group, I checked out some videos of Yoga with Adriene on Youtube to complete this nudge. I kept the sessions short (15 minutes each) as my body is not in yoga shape.  It did feel good to stretch deeply again and focus on body awareness.

I really liked her as an instructor. She was very easy to follow and went at an appropriate pace for a beginner. My one frustration was having to adjust my screen to see her while on the floor, then standing, then on the floor again.

I didn't push myself as hard as I would in a class with other people present. I didn't feel the need to compete or look strong in front of others. While this was a good thing, I also knew I could quit at any time and didn't hold certain poses as long as instructed.

All in all, I definitely would try it again at home and think it would grow more comfortable as I practiced.

LESSONS LEARNED: Along with many, many other people around the world this week, it was good to re-evaluate the things I do in person and see if there is a way to do it online or with technology. We have been finding other things in our life that can easily be done online in a similar way, but sacrifices have to be made sometimes too. Churches have gone to online services so you can still have worship on Sundays, but you miss others worshipping with you. I think yoga is the same way - it can be done online if needed, but a class setting has its advantages too.

NEXT UP: I selected the next nudge carefully, with social distancing and keeping my time outside the home to a minimum. I found the perfect one! My new nudge is "keep a gratitude journal for 7 days, 10 things each day". Good one! It will be very helpful to look for the positive things in these uncertain times.

Have a good week! Stay safe!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy