Nudge Challenge Week 71 = Silence

NUDGED: "Spend 5 minutes in silent prayer for 5 days"

BACKSTORY: I have been feeling convicted that I don't spend enough time in silent prayer with God. I usually spend my entire prayer time talking to God and asking for things, then moving on to something else after I say "Amen." I don't take time to hear from him.

This would never work in a relationship - talking non-stop to someone then walking away before they can respond. It doesn't work in my relationship with God either.

This week, the challenge is to embrace the silence. To sit still for five minutes. To take a break from my busy, loud days, and to wait to hear the still, small voice of God.

QUOTE: "A thriving prayer life is possible when we're quiet enough to hear God speak" - Jazmin N. Frank

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I used the timer on my phone, set for 5 minutes, to hold me accountable. Each day, I spent silent time alone with God. The location differed; I sat in silence in my prayer closet, on the futon in my office, and at the dining room table. 

My mind wandered a lot. Some days, five minutes seemed like a really long time and other days it went by fast. I was tempted to keep praying about things and filling the silence with more of my words (apparently I have a lot of them!), but I had to restrain myself and BE SILENT.

I decided to meditate on God's attributes and praising Him if I wanted to talk. I focused on Him and just being in His presence. It actually felt like an extension of my meditation practice.

Did I receive any responses during these times of silence? Honestly, no. But without fail, I heard from God at other random times - in the shower, while drying my hair, driving to work, etc. Maybe I heard Him more because I was more attuned to listening due to the silence?

LESSONS LEARNED: It's nice to not always be asking for things but to simply enjoy being with God. It was a great reminder that my problems here are temporary and He is eternal and loving. I felt more peaceful afterward every time.

NEXT UP: The nudge I will be tackling for the upcoming week is "make a complex meal." This was one of my original nudges and something I have wanted to do for awhile, but fear stops me. When I cook a meal, I use a few simple ingredients to create a meal that we've eaten routinely. This nudge gets me out of my comfort zone in that I want to use many ingredients and make something that will challenge me in the kitchen.

I am just crossing my fingers it will turn out. Backup plan: pizza.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy