Nudge Challenge Week 73 = Notice

NUDGED: "Notice something"

BACKSTORY: How much am I missing out on when I am busy and don't stop to notice? In my busyness, I get really focused on completing tasks that I forget to see. I don't notice changes around me. It will be good his week to look a little longer and see what I have been missing.

QUOTE: "An unobserved life often leads to an ungrateful life." - Tom Berlin in "Reckless Love"

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: This nudge was a challenge as there was so much for me to notice! I felt extra-aware of my surroundings this week and noticed things for the first time:
  1. Neighbors painted their house from blue to gray, which we noticed while on a walk with the dog. 
  2. I noticed how I looked and felt as I tried on a pile of new-to-me clothes. 
  3. I saw how much stuff I have, from items for hobbies to toilet paper (ha!), and realized I have enough. I do not need to go purchase additional items in the event of a quarantine.  
  4. I noticed grammar mistakes and words that are misspelled....although that is nothing new for me to notice! 
  5. I noticed when a coworker got a haircut and when another trimmed his beard into a goatee.
  6. I noticed how often I touch my face during the day. (must.stop.it.) 
LESSONS LEARNED: It was interesting to see what I noticed this week, as well as to consider what I don't notice (my blindspots).

I was also surprised to notice how many things I came across this week that related to my nudge. This includes a short video from a friend (about looking at what I have!), reading about it in my small group book study (see quote above), hearing about it in a book discussion, and hearing about it in a sermon at church last Sunday. All these things reminded me to notice or look for things in a deeper or more meaningful way

NEXT UP: With COVID-19 in my area, I had to select my next nudge very carefully, avoiding ones that required extensive time with other people or occurred in public places. I found one that works though! My nudge for the next week is to "try doing yoga at home once." Perfect for my situation! I have been to yoga classes at a studio in the past but have not tried it at home on my own, with the help of online videos. I have all the tools I need too. I am curious to see if it works well or if I do really need an instructor in person. We'll see!

Have a good week! Wash your hands!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy