Nudge Challenge Week 72 = Complex Meal

NUDGED: "Make a complex meal"

BACKSTORY: This nudge was on my original list of nudges when I started this project in October of 2018. I usually make meals with a few ingredients that turn into something we have routinely. I want to mix it up this week by making a meal with many ingredients that will take time in the kitchen. It is out of my comfort zone and I am worried it won't turn out. Backup plan: pizza.

QUOTE: "Stepping out of your comfort zone and trying new things is the best way to grow," from www.livelifehappy.com

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I decided to make "Beef Bourguignon", which was a recipe in Jen Hatmaker's "For the Love" book. She highly recommends it and said it is a crowd pleaser. The hardest part is pronouncing the name. I trust her and was willing to give it a shot.

I made it on Wednesday night after getting the required ingredients at the store. I made a few substitutions to the recipe, but thought it would still work okay.

Pictures or it didn't happen!

Numerous food items for recipe
Cast of characters

Picture of the stovetop with meat and veggies cooking
Beef and bacon chillin' on left side; veggies simmerin' on the right

Picture of ingredients inside a pot with spoon
Meat, veggies and broth combined.

It was surprisingly easy to make; I just followed the directions.  It needed two hours to bake in the oven before cooking on the stovetop for another 25 minutes, so we planned to have it for dinner on Thursday.

Picture of noodles with beef recipe on top
Beef Bourguignon, served over cooked noodles

The final verdict?

It was good, but not great.

LESSONS LEARNED: I was a little disappointed it wasn't amazing after the time and money put into this one meal. But, it was fun to try something new and get out of our food rut.

This week also confirmed that I am not a foodie. I eat to live. I don't enjoy cooking or find it relaxing. And that's okay.

But I like trying new things and crossing items off my list. It was a win then!

NEXT UP: The new nudge has been drawn this morning and it is one of the newly added ones. It is "notice something". Good one! How much am I missing out on when I am busy and don't really stop to notice? We just got back from walking the dog and I noticed a neighbor painted their house and the color changed from blue to gray. It's a small thing, but I am already trying to notice life around me and see in a new way. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy