Nudge Challenge Week 36 = Video Learning

NUDGED: "Learn something new from a Youtube video"

BACKSTORY: I used to love watching Reading Rainbow, Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, and Sesame Street. These shows, along with many others, combined visuals and lessons that stuck with me. I still love learning new things, but I don't often use online videos for help. I get information in many other ways and forget to try it as a resource. This week, I wanted to check it out and see what I could learn from online videos. What kinds of things could I learn about? Would the information be reliable and accurate?

QUOTE: "Develop a passion for learning. If you do, you will never cease to grow." - Anthony J. D'Angelo

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I watched three videos on Youtube this week. Each were different from the others in what I learned. It gave me a good perspective on the types of information available on the internet (spoiler alert - EVERYTHING can be found online).

1) I watched a TedTalk on how to be more brave."Brave" is my theme for 2019 and I am always looking for new ideas. The talk was called "What it means to be brave" by Kimberly Davis, and it had 14,380 views on Youtube. She said, "Our brave unfolds one situation at a time" and recommends to focus on where you want to make an impact to find your brave.

2) I watched a video on how to repair a broken drain stopper in your bathroom sink. This was a practical video to learn how to do something, and it had 217,429 views on Youtube. I found the video easy to follow and understand. It is something we need to fix in our house in both bathroom sinks, but I didn't even attempt to try it after watching the video. He made it look easy but it wouldn't be so easy for me!

3) I watched a video on geocaching called "Introduction to Geocaching, Geocaching 101" which had 88,253 views. This is something I have always wanted to try as it involves adventure, the outdoors, and finding treasures. It has been on my list to figure out for years, and this video gave me the understanding and inspiration to actually try it. I had no idea how simple it actually is and feel like this is one thing I will actually follow through on.


LESSONS LEARNED: 

1) There are lots of TedTalks on Youtube and it covers almost every subject. This is a valuable resource for me that I can listen to when I want to learn about a specific topic. I have the opportunity to learn from some of the best in their industries, for free!

2) There are many repair and home improvement videos online. Instead of giving up because I don't know how to accomplish something, I can use Youtube to find a video and get the job done. Although, that means I actually follow through on fixing it after watching the video.....

3) Youtube works great for learning about things I have always wanted to try but haven't done since I don't know how. I am really excited to try geocaching now. Without this video, this item would still be on my "someday" list but has been moved instead to my "do this summer" list.

NEXT UP: This morning, I picked a piece of paper in the very corner of my nudges wooden box. I felt drawn to it for some reason. The nudge I drew was "be patriotic", which is PERFECT for this upcoming week with Independence Day. I am going to put our American flag out this morning to kick off the week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy