Nudge Challenge Week 34 = Gym 3x

NUDGED: "Go to the gym 3 times this week"

BACKSTORY: Great timing for this nudge! I had been going to the gym regularly and really enjoyed it, but then life happened and I haven't been able to get back on track (or treadmill!). Once you miss going to the gym for a few weeks, it is so easy to keep not going and find other things to do instead. It was time to stop "forgetting" to go and make it a priority in my life again. I hope it will set me up to continue going to the gym regularly after this week is over.

QUOTE: "True enjoyment comes from activity of the mind and exercise of the body; the two are ever united." - Wilhelm von Humboldt

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: On Sunday evening, I wrote a list of reasons why I want to go to the gym and why fitness is important to me. I used this list all week to be motivated to go. My list of reasons included stress relief, to be strong and lift heavy things as life required, to maintain my strength as I age, keep health conditions from progressing, confidence, helps me see what my body can do.

I scheduled the days I would go to the gym on Sunday evening so I could plan other activities around those times. This week, it would be Sunday, Thursday and Saturday based on my schedule. Usually, I work out on days with a "T" in them (easy to remember!) - Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. It really doesn't matter what day I go, just that I actually GO!

I did it! And, I went to three different gym locations within our gym membership (Great Life) this week. I thought I would try new locations to get out of my comfort zone, as well as trying different times of the day. I quickly saw the advantages of each gym and time:

  • E. 10th Street location at 2:30pm on a Sunday - I liked that there wasn't many people there. I almost had the whole gym to myself! No wait to use the equipment!
  • Willow Run location at 7:00pm on a Thursday - it was great to exercise after a full day of eating lots of calories. We usually go in the evenings to this location, so it felt the most familiar too. 
  • E 26th Street location at 7:30am on a Saturday - it was nice to have my workout done first thing so I didn't have to fit it in the rest of the day. I got it done early and moved on with my day! 

I was surprised how easy it was to start going to the gym again after I had missed for so many weeks. I just scheduled it and went - no thinking!

LESSONS LEARNED: Planning is so important! I liked planning my week ahead on Sunday evening so I made sure I had time for all the important things. I need to apply this lesson to getting other things done too.

NEXT UP: The nudge for this upcoming week is "do something I hate doing". This could be anything but it will probably feel good to finish the yucky task. Not as excited about this week, but I hope it will be beneficial in the long run. Will get it done!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy