Nudge Challenge Week 35 = Icky Things

NUDGED: "Do something I hate doing"

BACKSTORY: I saw this idea on another person's nudges list and really liked it. There are so many items on my to-do list that I never get to because I don't really WANT to. Unfortunately, these dreaded tasks need to get done some time. This was the week to do it! Time to "like" what I hate doing.

QUOTE: "The hardest part of any important task is getting started on it in the first place. Once you actually begin work on a valuable task, you seem to be naturally motivated to continue." - Brian Tracy in Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: It wasn't a very fun week, but it was a productive one. I finally did the tasks that I really don't like doing, including pulling weeds from the flower beds, cleaning a dirty toilet, cleaning mold spots off the bathroom ceiling, picking up dog poop in the backyard, and vacuuming our bedroom floor. YUCK!

I was surprised how good it felt when the icky task was completed, especially given how much I didn't enjoy doing the tasks!

I had more items on my list that I wanted to tackle this week, but didn't get to everything due to life happening. I promised myself I would continue to work on those items in the near future though!

LESSONS LEARNED: I just have to do it. I don't like this lesson but that doesn't mean it's not true. It worked for me to pick one icky, awful task to tackle each evening, then do it before I changed my mind. I ended up getting a lot done!

My niece came over yesterday and we had a fun day together. While we didn't do any of my "hated" tasks, she did help me re-pot plants - a task I have been meaning to do for awhile. Afterward, she helped water all my plants that are indoors. This is a task I do every Saturday, and it has become routine and boring for me. She was so excited to do it and her enthusiasm helped me to see it in a fresh new way. Doing tasks can be fun, especially when you are assisted by someone who is having a great time. 

NEXT UP: "Learn something new from a Youtube video". I love learning new things, but I don't often use Youtube for this purpose. In fact, I don't use that website very often at all (this may shock some people). It's time to try it and see what I can learn!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy