Nudge Challenge Week 33 = Messy Hair

NUDGED: "Master the messy bun/top knot"

BACKSTORY: I really like this hairstyle and always wanted to try it myself. I tried it once before but it looked too messy (ha!) and fell out right away so I gave up (perfectionist!) and never tried again. Still, I continue seeing other women ROCKING the messy bun but the style eluded me. When I decided to make a list of nudges/challenges to try, this was the top item on my list. It is something I really wanted to work on repeatedly until I figured it out and this nudge gave me that opportunity.

QUOTE: "A failure is not always a mistake, it may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying." - B. F. Skinner

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: This week took lots of practice and I worked on the nudge over the entire week. I watched multiple online videos and followed the steps of each one as I did it (most had "super easy" in the title = HAHA!). Some worked better than others, but none of them looked especially good. With the highest messy bun I achieved, my husband commented that I looked like I was 17 years old. I'm not sure how to take that!

My college roommate also sent me some ideas and tricks as she is someone who wears this style often. She recommended to not watch myself in the mirror as I do it, expect that it will look different each time, and don't expect it to look perfect. I followed her advice and found it did look better when I didn't look in a mirror as I was styling.

Overall, my messy top knot has gotten better the more times I attempt it. I have gone from feeling like Pebbles in the Flintstones to something that actually looks decent on a grown adult. I have even worn my messy top knots out in public, trying to be confident in the style.

While I don't feel like I "mastered" this style, I have come a long way in the week and will continue to keep trying. I will continue to be intentional with my hair and try different things.

LESSONS LEARNED: I was reminded this week of Glennon Doyle's famous quote "We can do hard things" - a simple and inspiring statement I need to repeat to myself often. I learned this week that I can do my hair, even when it feels hard. Don't give up before I try and keep trying until I get it.

NEXT UP: I almost passed over this nudge as it was something I was doing regularly this winter but have gotten out of the habit of doing recently. The new nudge is "go to the gym 3 times this week". It is great timing as I have been meaning to jump back into my exercise routine but it hasn't happened yet. It's time! Going to the gym this week then (I hope!). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy