Nudge Challenge Week 9 = The String, not the Dance

NUDGED: "Floss daily"

BACKSTORY: An instruction to floss more seems to be said at every dental cleaning. I have no problem brushing my teeth twice a day, but the habit of flossing regularly has always eluded me. This is something I want to work on and this nudge will help me to do it!

QUOTE: "Each tooth has five surfaces. If you don't floss, you are leaving at least two of the surfaces unclean. Floss is the only thing that can really get into that space between the teeth and remove bacteria." - Alla Wheeler, RDH, MPA

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I was laying in bed the first night when I realized I didn't floss! Although tired and ready to fall asleep, I got up and flossed. It only took a few minutes and gave me a sense of accomplishment afterward.

The next morning, I put my floss container on top of my toothpaste so I wouldn't forget. I realized part of my problem with flossing is that I just forget - the container is hidden in my drawer so I don't remember to do it. Light bulb moment: when I put my floss where I could see it, I then did it twice EVERY DAY.

I did some online research this week as to why we floss, how often we should do it, and what the proper technique should be. These lessons helped me understand the importance of flossing and helped me make it a priority daily. In case you are curious, it is recommended to floss at least once per day. Flossing removes yucky plaque and prevents cavities and gum disease. Slide floss (15-18" long) between two teeth, wrap it around each tooth in the shape of a "C", then use an up and down motion.

I ended up flossing every day this week! According to my personal experience, which many online people can confirm, the hardest part of flossing is to simply start doing it!

LESSONS LEARNED: Flossing is just as important as brushing and should be done every day. It was much easier than I expected to make it a habit, when I simply added it to another habit I am already doing ("habit stacking"). It got faster and easier every time, and I like how clean my teeth feel. I definitely plan to continue this habit long after this week is over!!

NEXT UP: The new nudge has just been selected for this week: "throw something out". This may be very appropriate with Christmas and gifts coming very soon, so it will be good to get rid of something first to make room. However, I am very sentimental so it will be difficult (uncomfortable!). 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy