Nudge Challenge Week 11 = Courage in a Hat

NUDGED: "Wear a baseball hat"

BACKSTORY: I liked wearing baseball hats when I was a teenager. I was still trying to find my unique style, and hats were a part of my fashion experimentation. I stopped wearing hats when I went off to college, ironically during the years I bought the most baseball hats - school pride!! This nudge was a challenge to go back in time to see how adult me likes a style choice of teenage me. Women wearing baseball hats have become very stylish these days. Would the look work for me still or would I find it too uncomfortable?

QUOTE: "If you wear things you adore, you just look better." - Margherita Missoni

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: 

Great timing for this nudge! I just received a new "Resisterhood" baseball hat in the mail last week and looked forward to wearing it proudly. The "Resisterhood" is a worldwide women's movement that fights fear and oppression, and is led by Jen Hatmaker. She posted a picture on her social media of her wearing the hat and I knew instantly I wanted to have one too. I wore my baseball hat proudly this week to "speak out" on these issues I am passionate about...only to have no one inquire about it. 

I wore my hat at home, while working out at the gym, and when running errands this week. I will admit that it was uncomfortable at first, but it also made me feel more confident. Clothes can change attitudes. I feel powerful when I wear my Wonder Woman shirt in public, as if I tap into her strength through the cotton. The hat made me feel courageous this week as well.

Wearing a hat also proved to be very practical. It helped to cover up messy unwashed hair, made me look presentable, and also helped shade my eyes from being blinded by the sunshine while working out at the gym.

I decided this hat will remain out of storage and will be worn after this week, along with wearing other hats that have collected dust over time.

 


LESSONS LEARNED:

1) I don't see many women rocking hats all the time and that's okay. I am really inspired by a few role models that post pictures publicly of themselves in hats (like Jen "Hat"maker - lol!). Having a great example of how to pull off the look really helps - and was something I didn't have in high school to follow.

2) This nudge this week was made much easier with a great new purchase I was excited about wearing. Change may be as simple as buying a new item I love, then using it.

3) Having a bad hair day? Throw a hat on it - problem solved!

4) My challenge of nudges is uniquely suited to me, working on areas I need help with. Explaining this project and my nudges list to other people may sound lame to them. But, I'm not doing it for them but for me. I am doing this to bring more joy and spontaneity and courage into my life - and it's working! I am amazed at the changes happening already. Each person's nudges list would look totally different.

NEXT UP: New nudge for the week is: "research a topic in a niche area". I am going to be flexing my curiosity muscles this week then, and will allow myself to dive deep into obscure areas I am interested in. I am going to study and research this week, and learn new things - yay! At this point though, I have NO IDEA what area that will be. Hmmmm....................

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy