Carrie's "Nudge" Challenge Week 8 = Can You See/Hear Me Now?

NUDGED: "Increase my online presence"

BACKSTORY: I maintain a minimal online presence, commenting on posts as necessary and staying silent in most online groups. It's not that I don't have things to say - I do! So why don't I post more? What would happen if I am more active on social media websites? Would I feel more connected and fulfilled, or would I find it a hassle to interrupt my life to put updates online? That's what I wanted to figure out this week! 

QUOTE:


HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK:
My work on this nudge happened little by little each day this week. I commented on more FB statuses than usual, posted a picture with a recent happening on FB, changed my profile and cover photos, offered encouragement and support on posts to online groups, commented on a blog for a popular author I admire (and got a response!!), updated the appearance of my blog, posted a new blog post mid-week about books, posted two new pictures to Instagram, made a public comment on a website expressing my opinion, and created a new Pinterest board to save ideas for future nudges.

In the process, I confronted the issues and fears of why I don't post more publicly. It turns out there were lots of reasons:

  • I struggle to stay current with technology, which is ever changing and evolving. 
  • I over think comments and rewrite many times until they are perfect before posting. 
  • I am concerned about my security and over sharing. I want to keep some areas of my life private. 
  • I don't want to be judged. 
  • I don't like criticism and am not interested in online debates. I've heard it said before that the internet went from being a living room where we shared ideas, to a court room - so true!!  
I liked receiving comments and likes on updates I posted this week but I didn't want that to be my only focus. I crave real connection with people on the other side of the computer/phone. I want to encourage others, thank them, and offer recommendations to make their lives better. 

The highlight of the week was when the blog author responded to my comment! Though we don't know each other and live in different places, I was able to relate to her and express my gratitude for her ideas and example. I have wanted to do this for awhile but was too scared to reach out. She replied and said it made her week to hear it, and that made my week too. The internet can be a great bridge! 

LESSONS LEARNED:

1) I really liked getting responses, comments and likes after posting. It made me feel more connected to the world. It was exciting to see what people would say. 

2) It felt good to share my thoughts instead of keeping them to myself. I have learned so much from others who shared their ideas, so I want to do the same to help others as well. 

3) It's hard to be vulnerable online - to put yourself out there. You don't know how people will respond or if anyone will respond. I have a new appreciation for people who post comments publicly. It takes courage!

4) Social media is a great tool for making connections, but not for being fully known and understood. That takes years of time invested in learning about the other person, eyeball to eyeball. I definitely prefer relationships in the real world. There is no substitute for long-conversations and having someone know you fully (and still like you!). I would rather prioritize my real life relationships than to have a "perfect" online presence.
A good reminder! Picture found on Facebook, unsure of original source. 

NEXT UP: My nudge for next week is to "floss daily". While it may seem simple on the surface, it is a habit that has always failed to stick with me. We'll see how this week goes and what I learn. Can I make it a week?

Thanks for reading!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy