Nudge Challenge Week 91 = Exploring a Small Town

NUDGED: "Check out a small town"

BACKSTORY: I have lived in Sioux Falls for most of my life. It's a great city, but I get wrapped up in my bubble and don't venture out just a little further. There are many small towns around the area that I don't get to often (or ever!). My husband and I really enjoy exploring new places together and trying new restaurants. I'm grateful he is on board (or "in car"?) to help me this week.

The challenges of this nudge? 1) Getting lost in a small town (a very real possibility for this directionally-challenged gal!).  2) Picking which small town to check out and what to do while there.

Let's go!

QUOTE:"Don't be afraid to expand yourself, to step out of your comfort zone. That's where the joy and the adventure life." - Herbie Hancock

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: We had many options for small towns to check out, but I ended up picking the town due to a restaurant I have heard really good things about. Yes, we planned our trip around food. :)

We decided to check out the city of Harrisburg, a small town to our south. It took us less than 20 minutes to get there. We went on a Wednesday evening to avoid being with lots of people in the restaurant with us. Only one other group was there with us that evening so social distancing guidelines were followed.

We both enjoyed burgers and fries at Harris-Burgers - it was really good! We then drove around the town to see what else was there. We saw parks, old and new houses, bars, a church, a few businesses, and a lot of new schools. The downtown consisted of two old buildings by the railroad tracks.

It is a very fast growing community and it feels really unorganized to me. My husband said the town reminded him of "an awkward teenager growing too fast". That description feels accurate to me.

It probably won't be on the list of towns we would move to someday, but we will definitely visit again to have a burger!

LESSONS LEARNED: To complete this nudge, we could have just driven around the town then left. I'm glad we picked a local restaurant to try during our exploration of the town. I would have checked out some local shops too if we found a place that was open.

There are many other nearby towns we want to check out in the future, and have decided to eat local at each one if possible. It provides a much better experience!

NEXT UP: My new nudge for the week is to "splurge on something for me". While this may seem "easy" for some, it is something I don't normally do. I am a saver and usually think just in necessities. This week, it's time to find something that will bring me joy and splurge on it...without feeling guilty!! That will be a challenge!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy