Nudge Challenge Week 89 = Water

NUDGED: "Drink half my body weight in ounces of water daily"

BACKSTORY: Drinking water is good for my health, but it is something that I don't think about most of the time. Do I drink enough each day? I have no idea.

The inspiration for this nudge came from the book "100 Life Challenges". The book includes 100 life goals, set up as 30-day challenges to make each one a habit. Challenge 18 is "Drink Half Your Body Weight in Ounces of Water". The author alleges that "consistent water intake elevates your mood and gives you energy throughout the day, but it also helps cushion your joints, supports your kidney functions, and allows you to digest foods efficiently." This nudge will give me a head start on this 30 day challenge...if I can stick with it!

QUOTE: "Pee clear, pee often." - Unknown

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I got to guzzling right away this week, drinking almost 100 oz of water on Sunday. This was above my goal amount for each day. I then continued to meet or exceed my goal each day this week. YAY! Go me!

To be accurate and make sure I was drinking enough, I tracked my water intake using my FitBit app. Every time I finished a 16oz bottle of water, I recorded it on the app. Then, I filled up my reusable bottle again (after a potty break!!).

Yes, I noticed an increased number of bathroom trips this week. But it was worth it. I didn't feel thirsty or dehydrated at all, and even thought my skin started looking better.

I struggled a bit to keep my water habits up on the holiday and weekend. At work, I keep a tumbler with water sitting next to me at all times. It reminds me to drink my water often. I didn't have this habit established at home, and I noticed I didn't drink as frequently throughout the day. 

LESSONS LEARNED: I feel better when I stay hydrated. To stay hydrated, make drinking enough water a daily habit. I know this sounds really simple, but the best way to do this is just to do it! Keep water next to me throughout the day and consistently take drinks. 

NEXT UP: I made the decision recently that I would complete 100 nudges, then take a break and work on another big goal/project. I have LOVED doing these nudges and have learned to be more comfortable with the uncomfortable, but think it will be time to take a break and re-focus elsewhere. Ten left then!

I drew the next nudge for the week ahead, and it is one that I came up with but am not sure how to phrase as a nudge. I noticed I don't say "You are welcome" or "I love you" often. I have been feeling convicted at how often I stay silent when I should speak up. This does not come naturally to me. I don't like conflict or debates, but I also can't stay silent when all the time. I don't want to live with the regret that I should have said something (to defend someone, for example), but I didn't. So this week, my nudge is to "speak up and say scary things" (or at least things that seem scary to voice for me). 

I honestly feel like this may be one of the hardest and most personal nudges I have tackled in a long time. We'll see how it goes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy