Nudge Challenge Week 84 = Crafty

NUDGED: "Make a craft from Pinterest"

BACKSTORY: I enjoy casually browsing Pinterest for finding ideas and looking at pretty things. It's a great way to relax after a long day. I have several boards where I save things, most filed under the "make someday" category. The nudge this week challenged me to actually make a craft instead of just planning on making it. How will it turn out? Will I be inspired and want to do more?

QUOTE: "In crafting there are no mistakes, just unique creations." - Unknown

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I decided early on this week that I would not spend any money on craft supplies to complete this nudge. I have plenty of supplies already and I did not want to venture into public stores for a few items. This guideline helped limit my search for which crafts to create this week.

I ended up making three projects, all inspired by pins that I saw and saved on Pinterest awhile ago.

Craft Project #1: String-art of my state (South Dakota)
I have wanted to make this project for years and was proud that I finally did it! I had to make some modifications based on what supplies I had available. Instead of using small nails and wood (things I didn't have at home right now), I used pins and a canvas. It took me awhile to figure out how to do it. Honestly, it didn't turn out as well as I was hoping. I am planning to re-do it sometime soon so it becomes something that gives me joy.

Picture of string art in the shape of Texas
My inspiration for the craft, found on Pinterest

Picture of string art showing South Dakota
The final product showing the state of South Dakota. Not what I was hoping for! Fail.

Craft #2: Heart art of places we've been
I saved this picture a long time ago and instantly knew I wanted to actually create it when I came across it this week. This artwork features hearts of city maps for each place we have traveled to together. It was perfect timing as we celebrated our wedding anniversary this week and were reflecting on all the travels we have done in our 13 years of marriage. I made a few modifications and used a frame I already had. I love it!

Picture of cities in hearts as artwork
My inspiration photo from Pinterest. I love this!

Picture of cities in hearts
My final product of places we've been to together. Love this!

Craft #3: Bird feeder made from a toilet paper roll
This was a simple craft that reminded me of ones I did as a kid! We had all the supplies at our house, and I loved this "upgraded" version with the sticks for birds to stand on. It was an easy craft to put together and made me smile when it was done. I hope the birds like it!

Picture of a bird feeder made with a toilet paper roll
My inspiration photo - so cute!

Picture of the bird feeder I made
My final product, ready to hang on a tree.

LESSONS LEARNED: I enjoy making crafts that have a special meaning or memory for me. I liked the hearts for cities craft as it reminded me of all the places we visited and loved. I liked the bird feeder as it reminded me of making similar projects when I was younger. I liked doing the string art as I am proud of the state I call home.

It was also really fun to actually keep the crafts I made this week. I realized many of the things I have made in the past few years were given as gifts to others. I now smile when I see these pieces displayed on my wall or in the tree.

There was definitely joy in this nudge!


NEXT UP: I drew a new nudge for the week and groaned. It reminded me that not all nudges were inherently fun to do, but some are things that should be done that I don't want to do. My new nudge for the week is to "wipe down the kitchen cabinets". Ugh. I haven't done this in awhile and really need to. It will be a challenge! Maybe it will inspire me to clean more things I have been neglecting also?! Or maybe it will spark joy somehow?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy