Nudge Challenge Week 79 = Let it Go

NUDGED: "Let something go"

BACKSTORY: Let it go, let it go..... Okay, now that song is in your head like it was in mine all week, we can begin. You are welcome. :)

I pick a word/theme as a resolution for each year and "let it go" was my phrase a few years ago. That was a big year for me in letting go of toxic relationships, extra pounds, unrealistic expectations, extra clutter I didn't need, and getting out of commitments I didn't enjoy. This nudge was a chance for me to revisit that year. It was uncomfortable at times but I am amazed at the growth and freedom that resulted.

What should I let go of this week?

QUOTE:
Picture to embrace joy now


HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I let go this week, even when it wasn't easy or comfortable

I let go of many inches of hair at a much-needed haircut. It ended up being shorter than I was planning and feels like a big change to me. It pushed me out of my comfort zone, but I am getting used to it every day

I let go of 12 masks this week that I have been sewing in the evenings. This is in addition to the many more I have given to others in the previous weeks. These masks represent my free time, and much of the fabric has a story of other projects I was going to use it for. But I am happy to let it go to help others stay safe!

I let go of my normal routine. I watched a movie on a Monday night, even though my normal movie night is Friday. I put off doing the dishes and other fun adulting tasks to prioritize a mental break. It was awesome!

I also reworked my schedule to add a dedicated time for writing each day. I do my best writing during the day (not in the evening), and I discovered (haha) that I get two 15-minute breaks at work. I usually don't take those breaks, but I did this week and utilized them well.

I let go of my expectations. During my writing times, I responded to prompts. I let go of any preconceived ideas of what my answer would be and just let my hand write freely. I was surprised by what came pouring out. It was really good material, but many times, not at all in the direction I thought it would go.

I let go of my high standards. I decided not to participate in the Mayor's 100 miles in 100 days fitness challenge. It is too stressful for me right now with working full-time and pursing other goals. It's okay that it doesn't work for me. I will cheer others on instead!

LESSONS LEARNED: I realized "letting go" became synonymous with "being free". I allowed myself the freedom to change my schedule and ideas, and I felt happy as a result. I was happy with my writing, with my hair, with giving myself a much-deserved break. And in the end, increasing my happiness was the goal with this 52Nudges project. I feel like I won this week, even though things were "lost".

NEXT UP: I selected the next nudge this morning and it is one that is possible to do this week while following social distancing. It is to "jumprope". This is an activity I enjoyed as a child and teenager but haven't done it in years. First, I will have to find my jumprope (I think it is in my drawer?) and then try it this week, praying first that I don't injure myself! I'm curious to see if it gives me the same joy as it did back then.

Take care friends! Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy