Nudge Challenge Week 78 = Espanol

NUDGED: "Learn and use Spanish this week"

BACKSTORY: I took four semesters of Spanish in college and really enjoyed it. It was difficult to learn at first but got easier the more I studied it. Unfortunately, I haven't many opportunities to use Spanish after I graduated so some of it was forgotten.

Becoming and staying fluent is one of my goals so I have been working on it little-by-little each day. My goal has been to spend 10 minutes a day of Spanish lessons with the free Duolingo app. Some days I rush through the lesson and complete it in a shorter time.

My nudge this week is to commit to learning the language (including trying out new features in the app) and speaking it as much as I could.

QUOTE: "Learning another language is not only learning different words for the same things, but learning another way to think about things." - Flora Lewis

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: To commit to 10 minutes a day, I actually set a timer and made sure I worked on Spanish the whole time. The time went by really fast most days.

For the first time, I tried the "stories" area in the app. It was a different way to learn and interact with the language, and I really enjoyed it. It helped put the pieces together (the vocabulary) into a story.

Even though it was scary, I recited many statements from my lesson aloud this week. I used important statements to express myself, like telling my coworkers "Yo necesito cafe!" (I need coffee!).

LESSONS LEARNED: I stopped to consider the "why" behind my lessons this week. I am not just learning Spanish as a party trick, but because I want to communicate with clients at work. I want to write letters to our sponsored child in his native language instead of having someone translate my words for me. I want to speak it fluently on future vacations in Spanish-speaking areas.

Keeping this big picture in mind motivates me to keep going and to work hard. I want to be ready to use it when the situation arises!

NEXT UP: The new nudge has been drawn for the upcoming week and I already have no idea what will happen. The nudge is "Let something go". It could be anything - an attitude, a physical object, a toxic relationship, etc. I'm curious to see how it turns out! And, will I continue to have that "Frozen" song in my head all week?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy