Nudge Challenge Week 77 = Daily Writing

First of all, Happy Easter to you! He is risen! I hope you are having a blessed and safe day, wherever you are.

NUDGED: "Do a daily writing prompt each day this week"

BACKSTORY: I own several books that offer space to write a few lines each day or respond to a writing prompt. I love buying these books and love writing, but haven't made writing in them a habit yet. Time to start this week!

QUOTE: "Writing helps you reflect on your life and changes you're making. This is incredibly valuable, as often we do things without realizing why, or what effects these things are having on us." - Leo Babauta

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: In hindsight, this wasn't the ideal week to attempt this nudge. Due to our current pandemic, I spent every evening this week sewing face masks. It took a lot of my time and focus.

But I didn't set a time goal or a minimum word count for this nudge; I just had to write every day. And I did!

I tried writing at different times of the day to see what would work best in my schedule. I quickly learned that the worst time for me to write is at night, when I am tired and my mind feels as blank as the piece of paper. I really liked writing in the morning or over my lunch hour. 

LESSONS LEARNED: I read an online article for "How to Write Daily" by Leo Babauta, and want to incorporate his lessons to help me get into a writing habit. He suggests you commit to writing daily, set aside time and block it off in your calendar, start small, and shut down distractions.

I will continue to try to start this habit, while giving myself plenty of grace for distractions during unique circumstances!

NEXT UP: This week, I had to draw several nudges and toss them back in to find one that worked at this time of social distancing. I finally drew "Learn and use Spanish this week." I took four semesters of Spanish in college and then didn't use it much afterward. Recently, I have been studying it again on my own through the free Duolingo app. My goal has been to spend 10 minutes a day learning Spanish, although I often complete my lesson in a shorter time. This week, I will make learning it my priority (along with making face masks and staying healthy!). I will also get out of my comfort zone and try the bonus features I have been avoiding. How do you say "scary" or "comfort zone" in Spanish?! 

Have a good Easter! Take care, all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy