Nudge Challenge Week 66 = Pray

NUDGED: "Pray every day"

BACKSTORY: I created a personal prayer closet at our house after being inspired by the movie "War Room". This is a sacred space for me that has held many prayers over the years, both written in prayer journals (with answers!) and prayers taped to the walls. I got out of the habit of using my prayer closet regularly, so this nudge challenges me to physically go there every day and spend some intentional time with God. 

QUOTE: "The Bible never once says 'Figure it out', but over and over it says, 'Trust God.' He's already got it all figured out." - Danny Gokey

and

Pause and pray picture


HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I was able to accomplish many of my prayer goals this week that I wrote down last Sunday.  I made good progress, despite still having more areas I want to work on.

This week:
  • I prayed daily in my prayer closet. 
  • I wrote down new prayers in my journal so I can keep track of answers. No answers this week to include, but I know they will be coming. It's encouraging to look back and see how He has responded, even if it was not what I was expecting.
  • I went to my church's weekly prayer group meeting and prayed with the group for almost two hours. This is always a powerful time of prayer and is always a highlight of my week. 
  • When I got a prayer request from someone, instead of adding it to my list to be prayed for later (and maybe forgotten - sorry!), I prayed for those things right away. 
  • When I noticed I was worrying about something, I stopped myself and prayed instead. Then I let it go. 
  • I read a book on prayer and meditation, to give myself some new ideas.
As a result of the above tasks, I felt more encouraged all week that God hears my prayers and will answer. Prayer is so powerful!

LESSON LEARNED: Notice what is missing above? Listening! I pray but I don't listen for God's voice. A relationship doesn't work if I talked the whole time we are together, then left before the other person could stay anything. I struggle with silence and listening as I have too many thoughts in my head or I almost fall asleep. I was really convicted this week to spend time in prayer and SILENCE when in my prayer closet.


NEXT UP: After a time of prayer, I drew the next nudge for the upcoming week from my wooden box. This one may seem strange to you, but it is something that has been on my radar to check out for awhile. The new nudge is "listen to the Hamilton soundtrack." This play is very popular and I have heard the music is fantastic, but I have never actually listened to any of it. I did a quick online search to make sure the songs are available (they are!) so it's time for me to follow through and listen.

What is that item on your list that you always intend to do, but never get around to actually doing? Try it this week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy