Nudge Challenge Week 57 = Memorized?

NUDGED: "Memorize a Psalm"

BACKSTORY: Memorizing Scripture verses has been a long-time goal of mine. I want my mind to ruminate on good things, and I appreciate how the right verse often comes to mind during times of stress and anxiety. I have gotten out of the practice of memorization lately though.

I also wanted to challenge myself this week to memorize more than just a line or two, but an entire Psalm. Why? I love the wisdom and beauty of the Psalms, and how they speak to every mood. I know it is possible as other people have memorized Psalms or entire chapters of the New Testament.

But, can I do it?

QUOTE: "I know of no other single practice in the Christian life more rewarding, practically speaking, than memorizing Scripture... No other single exercise pays greater spiritual dividends." - Chuck Swindoll

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I picked Psalm 16 to memorize this week, as it is one of my favorites. It has 11 verses. I made my plan early in the week that I would memorize two verses each day, then put it all together at the end of the week.

I tried to memorize the first four verses over two days and had little success. 

My week didn't go as planned.

I love to read and have finished 76 books this year to date. Additionally, I have 4 DNF (did not finish) books that I started but could not complete. I realized the nudge for this week was going to be a DNF as well.

Simply put, my attention this week was on goal setting and doing other challenges that this memorization nudge was not a priority.  

As the year and decade comes to a close, I am feeling really motivated to be goal-setting. I have been contemplating what my new word/theme for 2020 will be, then writing my personal goals and professional goals for next year. This has all been very exciting for me, despite how it may sound to you!

This summer I purchased a book of 30-day challenges that have also pushed me out of my comfort zone. I am always working on one to four challenges from that book, each having daily tasks. If I complete it, I get a sticker! Oddly enough, I found I am very motivated by stickers and sticker charts. It has been fun!

Picture of 30 Day Challenge

Another challenge with stickers!

Reality check: maybe I don't have to complete all the nudges I set. I can take a DNF every once in awhile, especially when my heart is interested in pursuing other goals. I want to follow what gives me joy and listen to how I feel. I will not feel guilty for changing my mind! I am still learning something despite the outcome. 

LESSON LEARNED: Sometimes you have to give up a smaller goal to pursue a bigger goal.

NEXT UP: Even though this week didn't turn out as planned, I drew a new nudge and am ready to tackle it head on this week! My nudge is to "research hip mobility". This is something I have always wanted to look into but never get around to actually doing. It's time to learn something new and apply it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy