Nudge Challenge Week 56 = Rule-Breaker

NUDGED: "Break a rule (not a law)"

BACKSTORY: The idea for this nudge came from the 52Nudges Project Founder. In fact, it was this nudge that launched the entire project for her. I like rules and following them. I get frustrated by people who break the rules! I knew this nudge would really stretch me to get out of my comfort zone and take more risks. Deep breaths.....

QUOTE: "Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I was very aware this week of the rules I live by. There is a  difference between a rule and a law, so I tried to just focus on the rules. Some rules were given to me by society and some are self-created.

I thought it would be easy to break a rule this week, but I struggled to come up with a good idea. I found that many rules are in place due to my preferences or my moral code. For example, I hate being late and cannot show up to work after 8:00am. I can't park on a line and take up two parking spots. I can't eat peanut butter because it is gross. I had to find something that made sense for me and something that I wouldn't feel guilty about later.

The perfect idea came from a coworker. It was something that I have never tried before but the idea made me excited. Rule: don't eat dessert first or it will ruin your dinner. RULE BROKEN! I ate a bowl of chocolate ice cream with chocolate syrup while supper was being made. Actually, I broke three rules at once: don't eat dessert before a meal, limit my sugar consumption, and avoid dairy.

Carrie eating ice cream
Eating a bowl of chocolate ice cream while dinner is being made. Breaking three rules!

The result? It was delicious and fun to be a "rule-breaker". And I learned that it, in fact, did NOT ruin my dinner! Sorry, Mom.

bowl of chocolate ice cream
A picture of my favorite nudge to date! Ha!

Other minor rules I broke this week: drank a cup of coffee in the afternoon which normally messes up my sleep (it didn't this time). I parked very close to the yellow line in the parking lot at work. I don't install computer updates regularly (a rule I continually break). I used a Smith machine at the gym when the weight rack was busy, even though my trainer says not to use them.

LESSONS LEARNED: I am always open to whatever lessons or feelings may come up with a nudge. The lesson I learned this week was one I was not expecting. Some rules don't have to be broken and are wise to follow (what?! really?!). Other rules can be challenged and broken. Discernment is important to know the difference!

NEXT UP: The nudge I will work on this week is "memorize a Psalm". I struggle to memorize one or two verses of Scripture, even though I have great intentions to do it and know it will be beneficial. This week will really challenge me as I try to learn many verses! How will my memory hold up?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy