Nudge Challenge Week 55 = Countries

NUDGED: "Learn to identify all the countries on a map"

BACKSTORY: I struggle with geography. This includes navigating in nearby cities and states, as well as knowing where entire countries are (awful, but true!). My last geography class was in high school and while I was considered proficient then (I passed!), I do not consider myself proficient in geography now. This week, I want to pick up my studies and learn where all the countries are located. It seems overwhelming to me right now due to the vast number of them. But, this information may come in handy for future trips!

QUOTE: "I thought Europe was a country." - Kellie Pickler, country music singer

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I had flashbacks to my high school world geography class all week. I vaguely remember learning countries and capitals from all over the world, but saw many country names that I didn't recognize this week. Yikes. I quickly realized how bad my world geography is, especially when identifying countries in Asia and Africa.

For a previous nudge of learning all the US capitals, I made flashcards and worked through them all week. Flashcards would not work for learning geography, so I found a website with free online quizzes to teach me.

From Seterra Geography website
 
I studied the map for each continent, then took the interactive online quiz to identify countries. I kept trying and retaking the quiz until I got a 100% or at least did better each time. I started with North and Central America, then worked on South America, then moved on to Europe, Asia and Africa.

I can't say that I know all the countries 100% right now (there are A LOT of them!), but I am working on getting better. I started in the 20% recognition for some areas and have progressed to 60% right now. I am slowly doing better every time.

LESSONS LEARNED: I realized this week that my motivation for learning has changed from when I was in school. When I was a student, I studied so that I could pass a test and get a good grade. Some information was quickly forgotten as a result. As an adult, I am now learning for my own benefit and to be a better, more informed citizen of the world. I hope I will retain the information better then!

NEXT UP: I opened my wooden box this morning and drew the next nudge that I will work on this week - "break a rule (not a law)". This nudge came from the original list of nudge ideas. It will be a challenge for me as a natural rule-follower. I like rules! I will be nudged out of my comfort zone for sure! But, what rule should I break? Hmmm........

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy