Nudge Challenge Week 54 = Goals

NUDGED: "Set a small goal and blow it away"

BACKSTORY: The idea for this nudge came directly from the 52Nudges Founder Kathleen Guthrie Woods. When I started my project, I used many ideas from her list to get my list started, including this nudge. The timing again was perfect. I drew this nudge when I have been feeling discouraged about not meeting some goals I set. I definitely need a win!

QUOTE: "You should set goals beyond your reach so you always have something to live for," - Ted Turner

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: The temptation with this nudge is to set an easy goal so that I can surely surpass it, but I want to challenge myself, then celebrate a victory. I need to test myself!

I made a list of ideas to start. There are many goals I want to work on, but I had to make sure it was attainable within a week with some dedicated effort. After exploring all my options, I selected working on the same goal Woods did with her nudge - holding a plank.

Proper plank form, for your reference (from LINK)

Planks are hard! I don't do them often because my whole body shakes and my core struggles to stay tight. They are great full-body exercises.

My goal was to hold a plank for 30 seconds, while on my elbows (like picture above). I knew it was possible if I worked at it every day diligently. I used the timer on my phone so I could measure my progress.

I started on Sunday night with a 15 second plank - not bad but room for improvement! I did it every day and FINALLY was able to hold a plank for 33 seconds on Thursday. I DID IT!

I was proud of myself for meeting my goal...then promptly set a new goal for a one minute plank. Ha! I don't have to complete that goal this week, but it gives me another goal to work on in the future. Small steps in the right direction!

LESSONS LEARNED: I thought a lot about my goals this week. I am very goal-oriented and do well when I am chasing something. I feel restless when I don't. I also feel discouraged when I don't hit my goal. I am working on setting new goals then to pursue from now until the end of the year (a short time frame!), which will keep me motivated and progressing for the next few weeks. Lesson learned this week - make goals and keep working at them!

NEXT UP: I'm back to learning basic geography this week with my new nudge - "learn to identify all the countries on a map". I struggle with geography and haven't studied a map of countries since I was in high school (a long time ago!). It's time to revisit it this week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy