Year of Being Brave in 2019 = 3/4 Year Recap

Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. ... You must do the thing you think you cannot do." I love this quote and think it is so applicable to my life this year.

I realized that I have gotten less brave (or more fearful) as I have gotten older. I have gotten comfortable and don't take many risks. Therefore, I challenged myself to get out of my comfort zone and do the things that scare me.

My motto for 2019 is "Be Brave" and what a big year it's been so far! The year is not even over yet and I have already made some huge improvements in this area.

Full disclosure - this has required countless pep talks with myself in those moments of courage, including repeating the following phrases: "I am a big, brave girl" and "I am enough" and "I can do this". And lots of deep breaths!!!



I decided to look back over the last 9 months of 2019 (3/4 of the year) and remind myself how far I've come. It gives me courage knowing that I have faced my fears many times and have survived (ha!). I have persevered and found I am braver than I think I am!

Here's my top 10 brave moments of 2019 (so far):

1) Swam with dolphins in the Bahamas, even though I don't know how to swim and am VERY SCARED of large bodies of water.

2) Publicly shared my story regarding childlessness with an international audience during World Childless Week. Participated in an online video conference call with childless people from all over the world, including some well-known leaders of the worldwide group.

3) Completed a 5K race in May and virtual 10K race in July. I didn't run the entire time, but I am so proud of myself for not giving up.

4) Persevered many times when I wanted to give up - with Bible study lessons, during tough days at work, reading books that triggered me, with eating healthy, praying when it seemed impossible, etc.

5) Shown vulnerability in sharing my story and struggles, asking for help when I need it, writing on a blog weekly, posting on FB about Pivot Day and Mother's Day, sharing openly when talking to friends, seeking spiritual guidance from my pastor, etc.

6) Doing barbell work by myself in the weight room at the gym, often being the only female in a room full of sweaty men

7)  Completing 49 nudges (personal challenges) to date (one a week), all of which get me out of my comfort zone and trying something new. Bonus - one of my nudges will be featured soon on the nudge project founder's blog!

8) Giving up most dairy and limiting my sugar consumption (and it is HARD with the cravings sometimes!)

9) Graduating from BSF Bible Study after 8 consecutive years and facing the scary unknown when not returning to the class. I am fully trusting God's plan for my life, even when I don't see the path or know the plan.

10) Joining the prayer ministry team at church. I didn't know anyone and wasn't comfortable praying out loud in a group. I'm learning!!


I am SO PROUD of myself for taking risks and trying new things! I am looking forward to these last three months of this decade (what?!) and want to make them the best yet!

Be scared and do it anyway.

Let's go!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy