Nudge Challenge Week 51 = Names

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT UPDATE: One of my past nudges was featured this week on Kathleen Guthrie Woods' 52 Nudges blog! She is the original founder of the 52 Nudges project, which inspired me to start my own challenge a year ago. Check out what happened with that nudge and what I learned, as well as many of her past nudges for inspiration on your own project. Thanks again for featuring me Kathleen! You have a cheerleader and faithful reader in South Dakota!

And now let's return to our regularly scheduled programming....


NUDGED: "Learn the names of people I come in contact with"

BACKSTORY: Names are important to people. My pet peeve is when a person's name is misspelled, which comes from my Journalism education (where it is unacceptable to misspell a name in print!). But, how can you misspell a name if you don't even know it? It's hard to admit that I really don't notice nametags or ask for people's names, even those people I see regularly. Or, I learn a name and forget it shortly thereafter. This week, I will get out of my comfort zone to ask (and remember!) people's names.

QUOTE: "A person's name is to him or her the sweetest and most important sound in any language." - Dale Carnegie

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: 

Research first! I found an article from Forbes.com that explained the importance of remembering names, stating "Learning another person's name is the first, most basic step in showing respect and building a meaningful relationship." And when I insist that I have a bad memory, the article disagreed stating, "Forgetting names is most often caused by lack of focus and effort, rather than a brain deficiency." Ouch. No excuses!

The article gave six techniques to apply when meeting someone to remember and use their name effectively: Focus on the person. Repeat their name aloud. Ask a question. Repeat his/her name silently. Make a vivid association between their name and something familiar to you. Conclude the interaction with his/her name.

I then put these techniques into practice this week. Overall, I would give myself a B as a grade for how well I did.

I learned many names this week, including the names of our business mail carriers (Leo and Nikki), work vendor delivery driver (Scott), and grocery check-out clerk (Tammy). I also finally learned and remembered the names of the pets at a friend's house!

It was helpful to have names at work to record on my office sign-in/sign-out sheet, rather than "delivery driver". I also felt better about using their actual name in a conversation, like, "Yes, Nikki just delivered the mail and she did a great job!"

However, I didn't learn and remember every name of people I came across this week. I didn't remember the name of another store clerk who I see often, and missed getting the names of our office supplies delivery driver and a nice restaurant server.

LESSONS LEARNED: I alluded to this before, but it is difficult to misspell someone's name when you don't even know the name. Learning someone's name is now very important to me. I realized that I get so focused on myself and my current tasks that I miss making connections with the very people that help me. I want to do better and know that it is possible with a little effort.

NEXT UP: "Risk losing money" is the nudge that was drawn for this week. I am naturally a saver and don't like to risk money when there is a chance I will lose it. I have never purchased a lottery ticket for this reason, and don't normally gamble more than a few dollars. It will be a challenge for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy