Nudge Challenge Week 39 = Fun Mail

NUDGED: "Send thinking of you cards"

BACKSTORY: I enjoy receiving mail that is not bills or junk mail, and I assume other people like "fun" mail also. I always have good intentions of sending cards to friends just for fun, but it never actually happens. It is so much easier to send a text or instant message to someone. It's time to put more effort in! Is mailing cards an outdated practice? How does it feel to write and send a card to someone that I am thinking about? Does knowing it will make them happy make me happy?

QUOTE:














HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I ended up making and distributing four cards to four people this week. I'm proud that I actually followed through and gave out these cards; I didn't just think about it!

1) I sent my friend Mavis a "thinking of you" card in the mail to her assisted living facility. The card was decorated nicely and I wrote a note inside to acknowledge how much I value her friendship. I knew she would love it and be totally surprised. I only had to pay for postage as it was a card I already had in my card box.

2) I sent a friend a birthday card this week, taking advantage of the perfect timing of this nudge! She has been a really positive influence in my life and has supported me in my challenges. I appreciate her so much. Actually, this year I have mailed birthday cards to each of my good friends on their birthdays. I appreciate them and hope they appreciate the warm birthday thoughts!

3 & 4) Our two nieces love to write and decorate pages, then give them to people. They worked hard making cards with stickers, markers and decorative tape while at our house this past weekend, and both gave me their final products! They both instructed me to "write back", but I wasn't supposed to mail it. Okay! I spent several hours on Monday evening surrounded by paper, magazines, scissors, glue, stickers, colored pencils, and decorative tape creating custom paper "books" for each of them. Once I got started, the stories flowed easily. I didn't have to worry about making it perfect as I didn't want them to compare their work to mine. I knew they would appreciate whatever I could create. I really enjoyed this time of crafting and was surprised to look up a seemingly short time later to discover it was past 10pm! I finished both books and decorated two envelopes, then gave it to them at family lunch on Thursday. They both loved them - big smiles! It was great to see their reactions after all my hard work.

Just some craft supplies to make special notes!

LESSONS LEARNED: Totally worth it. Send cards more often, or at least send a message when someone is on my mind. We need our friends and family to get though life, and we all need encouragement!

NEXT UP: The nudge I have drawn for this upcoming week is "write for 1 hour with no interruptions". I enjoy writing but have gotten out of the habit of journaling recently. When I do write, I don't spend much time on it. It will be good this week to focus on it and process my thoughts without feeling rushed.

Have a good week!

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for the card, my friend - I forgot to tell you that on Saturday! Yes - perfect timing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy