Nudge Challenge Week 37 = Patriotism

NUDGED: "Be patriotic"

BACKSTORY: You might think this nudge was pre-planned as it is perfect for the week of the 4th of July, but it was randomly selected like all other nudges. Excellent timing! The idea for this nudge originated with my hair stylist while she was cutting my hair. I was explaining my nudges project to her, and she offered one idea that she always wanted to do but had never actually done. When seeing someone in the store wearing a veteran's hat, she wanted to go up and thank them for their service. I thought this was a great idea (and something I've never done either!) and so I combined her idea with a nudge to be more patriotic. It is an area that I need to work on!

QUOTE: "I believe our flag is more than just cloth and ink. It is a universally recognized symbol that stands for liberty and freedom. It is the history of our nation, and it's marked by the blood of those who died defending it." - John Thune

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I was on the lookout all week for veterans that I could thank, but unfortunately I didn't come across any, or at least any that had visible and obvious signs. I did make other big efforts to be more patriotic this week, including:
  • I proudly put out our American flag several days this week. I even changed the decoration by our front door to a flag wind-chime. It still hangs today and will continue to be proudly displayed all month.
  • I wore a shirt with a flag on it for Independence Day. This is the shirt that I wear every year on the national holiday. My niece gave me a flag sticker also, which added something special to the look. :)
  • My family and I attended a 4th of July parade in Lennox, SD. It was good! Everyone stood silently in respect for the flags to pass by at the beginning, and everyone stood and clapped again when military personnel marched by in the middle of the parade. Loud applause and humbled (and slightly embarrassed) soldiers gave me goose-bumps to witness. 
  • I looked up ideas online for how to be more patriotic. Ideas I found included fighting to protect human and constitutional rights for all, serving in jury duty (check!), supporting the country no matter what enemy or odds, and supporting our troops. 
  • I did research to learn about veterans organizations and programs in my local area. I didn't know much about it before! I learned about the American Legion Post #15, which was chartered on July 1, 1919 (one hundred years this week!). All their activities and interests are in four areas: rehabilitation including all aid to veterans, Americanism, child welfare, and national security. There is also a VFW Post #628 in Sioux Falls, which was chartered in 1921. Their mission is to foster camaraderie among US veterans of overseas conflicts; to serve veterans, military and communities; and to advocate on behalf of all veterans. I'm glad good organizations like this are available in our community!
  • I visited two local places to honor veterans this week in my home city: the Veteran's Memorial and the Battleship Memorial. I'm embarrassed to admit that I never have visited either one of these places even though I've lived here most of my life. 
    • The Veteran's Memorial Park was very quiet and peaceful. I was really touched by a statue of a solider being held by an angel with a flag in the background entitled "Going Home". I also studied the "Missing Star" grid that is dedicated to those who served but never came home. The park was a great place for reflection and to honor the brave men and women who have served. 
    • I went to the Battleship Memorial on Saturday. I have often driven by this place but I have never went inside. It was interesting to learn more about "Battleship X" or the U.S.S. South Dakota that fought in WWII. It was the first U.S. ship to hit mainland Japan in 1945. The memorial includes lots of information, pictures and other items from the real battleship and the memorial has free admission! One display housed personal stories of men aboard the ship. It made me miss both of my grandfathers (now deceased) who both served in the war. I never heard their war stories and they are now lost in time. 

LESSONS LEARNED: So many people bravely served and fought in wars for us to have our freedoms. We celebrate our independence with fireworks, parades and lots of food, but never consider the real cost (at least I didn't before). I was surprised to find the memorials were both mostly empty, even on the week we are celebrating freedom they ensured. It was really convicting. I came away this week with much more awareness and appreciation for our military and veterans. 

NEXT UP: "Go to a new market". This one came from another nudges project and I thought it would be good for me too! Like my above visits, there are many places in my city that I pass by every day and never step a foot in. I did a quick online search for ethnic markets near me and was surprised already by all the results! It's time to try one out and see what I find!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy