Nudge Challenge Week 38 = New Market

NUDGED: "Go to a new market"

BACKSTORY: This nudge came from another nudges project and I thought it would be a good step out of my comfort zone. I am still proud of myself for going to two new places last week, so I am excited for another week of checking out a new-to-me place.

QUOTE: "Food is a common denominator for all people" - Guy Fieri

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I did a quick online search for ethnic markets near me and was surprised by the number and variety of results - Philippine, Asian, Mexican, East African, and Nepali markets. I recruited my hubs to come with me as he is adventurous with food, and let him pick the place we would visit.

We went to the Philippine Oriental Food Store after lunch on Sunday afternoon. It was a place I had driven by many times but never visited. The store had a variety of items, some familiar to me and some foods I have not seen before.

We took our time to browse all the aisles and found several items to purchase including canned iced coffee (yes! yummy!), fruit juices with interesting flavors (mangosteen nectar and lychee nectar), a can of jackfruit in syrup, water chestnuts (hard to find sometimes!), treats for each of us that we had in Chicago's Chinatown last year (Yan Yan and Hello Panda), fish sauce, and a fried banana on a stick (not pictured - Kev ate on the drive home).

A successful shopping trip!

We both enjoyed each item and liked having different food items. The treats were an added bonus for both of us as we had them last year in Chicago but didn't know we could get them in our own city! I haven't tried the fish sauce yet, but am excited to experiment with it for the special umami flavor that I've heard about in online recipes. 

This market reminded me of a small grocery store by where I grew up. It was located in the middle of a residential neighborhood for easy walking access, and has always had every item you needed even though it is a small store. I'm sure this Philippine market provides the same service to many in the area, and I am grateful places like this exist.

We were going to check out other new markets this week too, but our schedules didn't allow it this week. We will check out other new places in the future!

LESSONS LEARNED: Be adventurous and try new foods. It's okay if I don't like them (didn't happen this time) but the important thing for me to is to try it. There are many more foods out there than just what I see in my regular grocery store each week!

NEXT UP: My new nudge has been selected - "send thinking of you cards". I like this one! It's always fun to get mail that isn't a bill, so I will be sending fun cards to a few people this week. I'm curious to see the response and to see how I feel when writing and sending them. I think it will be a good week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy