Nudge Challenge Week 19 = Blog Quest

NUDGED: "Read/explore 3 new blogs"

BACKSTORY: I enjoy reading blogs but rarely step out of my comfort zone to find new ones to read. My usual categories include health and fitness, religious, books, and home improvement blogs. I have my favorite people that I have followed for awhile, but I realized there might be new blogs out there that I would enjoy also. I could learn a lot from expanding my view with new ideas and perspectives. My nudge this week is to find three new blogs to read, and to learn at least one thing from each of them. And, go!

QUOTE: "Telling your story is transformative. For both the storyteller and their audience, a new bridge to understanding is created." - Susan Burton

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: 
I started this week with a big step out of my comfort zone. I felt overwhelmed with the large number of blogs available and needed to find a way to limit the number to three (ish). I made a post on Facebook asking for recommendations of blogs and decided to read and explore the first three suggestions I received. As luck would have it, I got four good recommendations (along with general encouragement and nudge ideas!), and thus had a good game plan for the week.

BLOG #1: Per a friend's suggestion, I checked out the "Life in Jeneral" Instagram account and blog by Jen Robin. She is a professional organizer and her social media features beautiful, well-lit photos of well-organized spaces. Drool. It inspired me to be more organized! I enjoyed reading her blog that offered advice on organizing and lifestyle.
  • Lessons from Blog #1: Inspired by this Q&A, I realized I should update my profile with more information about me so my readers can get to know me better. I updated my profile this week! I also really liked her beautiful photography and will strive to take better pictures (more light!).  
BLOG #2: I checked out "God in the Max" blog that a friend suggested and writes. It definitely offered me a different perspective than what I usually read, as it provided reflections from regularly ministering to prisoners. I was impressed by his authentic, compassionate service to those who are usually overlooked in our society. He provided real stories from prison and weaved Scripture through his posts - awesome!
  • Lessons from Blog #2: Be open and honest in blogging. Share real stories and heartaches when I can. Include Scripture verses in posts.  
BLOG #3:  I explored another new blog from a recommendation: Shutterbean. It was awesome! I really like the design of the page (like a newsletter or newspaper). The top post was "I love lists" - ME TOO! It made a good first impression right away. I read lots of posts on this blog, continuing to find good information and artwork with every click. Since the blogger is a photographer, the photos were excellent as well.
  • Lessons from Blog #3: I really liked her Currently lists as it is a similar process to how I record petsonal happenings throughout a month. She offered some new things to track each month (inspired by, watching, reading, thinking about, grateful for, etc) that I immediately implemented in my own monthly write-ups. Great idea!

LESSONS LEARNED:

1) I love getting recommendations from people! Great timing this week as I am currently reading my "Blind Date with a Book" selection the librarian picked out for me ("Changeling"). It is a different genre that I normally read but I am enjoying it! Lesson: ask for recommendations to get out of my comfort zone.

2) Follow my curiosity. Click links to new posts and other blogs for fresh content.

3) I value reading people's blogs as I know how vulnerable it feels to our your inner thoughts on the outer webs. I want to read what they write to honor their stories. 

4) While we each have very different interests and experiences, I was able to relate to something from each blog I found. Seek common ground with new ideas!

NEXT UP: A nudge that wasn't drawn from my box but I intentionally selected for the week. We will be on vacation and my goal, or nudge, to work on is "Be present and enjoy the moment". I don't want to be worrying about what is coming next but enjoy the now. I want to have fun, be flexible, and enjoy our time together. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy