Nudge Challenge Week 16 = Revisiting Instrumental Music

NUDGED: "Play my flute for me"

BACKSTORY: I knew this nudge would be challenging for me but was something that I have been meaning to try once again. I started playing the flute when I was in 5th grade and didn't put the instrument down until my early 30s. I stayed in band throughout high school and college, including playing in marching band and concert bands. I also played my flute in church or nursing homes as a soloist or accompanying another musical group. I was in a flute choir for many years and took private lessons. My dad is a talented, life-long musician so it was in my blood and was something I excelled at with many hours of practice (and my perfectionism!). Music was a big part of my life and shaped who I am today.

A serious picture from my high school band days - with the same flute I have today.

The music stopped one day about 5 years ago. It was a combination of factors that produced my "retirement" from playing the flute/piccolo. My flute teacher, mentor, and friend Jan died suddenly of cancer several years before and I had never completely gotten over it. I was devastated by her death and felt I couldn't play without her - the joy was gone. In addition, I changed churches and felt that music was something that I could do but not something that I was called to do. I wanted to explore other areas of my God-given talents. I packed up my flute, my constant companion for decades, and then didn't touch it again for over 5 years....until this week.

The purpose of this nudge was to play my flute for me, for my benefit only. I wasn't playing along with someone else or because someone asked me, but wanted to play because I wanted to.

I had lots of questions going in: What will I play? Will I remember how to do it? What will Coco think? How will I feel as I played? Time to find out!

QUOTE: "Music has healing power. It has the ability to take people out of themselves for a few hours." - Elton John

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: 

I sat on this nudge for most of the week and did nothing. Finally, on a quiet Friday night when my husband was gone and I was alone (with the dog!), I found my instrument in the back of a closet and challenged myself to play at least one song. I did it! So many thoughts and emotions came back that evening as I played for about an hour.

I was happy to see my flute again as I opened the case. I was reminded of my excitement to play as a 5th grader. It felt like seeing an old friend again. The happiness soon gave way to guilt as I saw some rust spots on the instrument from age and neglect. I felt like a bad friend.

It felt very familiar to put the pieces together slowly and get it properly aligned. All the dents and dings that I remembered were still there, evidence of our times together. I started playing and discovered I remembered all of the fingerings - just like riding a bike! I played an old hymn first, then moved on to other flute solos from my past.

Coco ran into the room as I played a high note. She sensed my joy and thought it translated into a treat for her. She anxiously wagged her tail and looked at me with big brown eyes. No treats for her. She lost interest and soon resigned herself to the couch, providing some soft snores as a musical accompaniment.

I soon realized how out of shape I was - my mouth hurt after one song. I kept going.

After about an hour, I pulled out some old pictures of my band days and reminisced about my musical career and about Jan. I wish she was still around so I could have more conversations with her. I have no doubt we would still be great friends today. She never married or had children, but she was a mother and mentor to me when I was in high school. I am grateful that her parents mailed me a stack of her flute music after her death. As I was feeling sad that I wouldn't talk to her again, the next piece of music I cam across was her music of "When We All Get to Heaven" - WOW! What a reminder that I will get to catch up with her again someday.

The most talented flute player I have ever known - my mentor Jan. She is so missed. 

LESSONS LEARNED: 

I enjoyed my evening of music for just my benefit. My private concert. It was fun to read music again - I didn't realize it had been so long! In church, all the words of worship music are on the screens so I don't read actual sheet music often. I miss it.

My flute will always be an important item that I will never get rid of, but I don't feel the need to play it often. It served its purpose in my life and I am grateful. It was fun to look back on everything and see all the benefits playing the flute brought me - quality time spent playing music with my dad and sister, good friendships, band trips to Florida and California, confidence to perform in front of many people, staying in shape with marching band, and it kept me out of trouble as a teenager. It was definitely time well spent! 

With the same flute in the college marching band for 4 years. 

NEXT UP: "Stop apologizing". Yikes! While a well-timed and genuine apology is very important, I find myself apologizing for things all the time automatically. Most things I shouldn't apologize for, but I still do! Time to stop it! 

Comments

  1. Good job kitten! Sounds the binks had a very typical reaction to something new. Do I get treat? No? Ok, i'm gonna nap.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy