Nudge Challenge Week 18 = Un-Nudging

NUDGED: "Use a household item in a new way"

BACKSTORY: Recently, I started to get creative and re-purpose items around the house for other uses than originally intended, like using a relish tray to hold craft supplies and using a decorative bowl to hold dog bones. I wanted to work on this nudge to look at my possessions in a new way and see if I can utilize things differently. I intended to give an item new life with a new purpose.

QUOTE: "Change the way you look at things and the things you look at change." - Wayne Dyer

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: 

I was much more aware this week of intended purposes of items around me and how I was actually using them. I made a list of some things that I love and use in a non-conventional way:
  • I hung a chandelier in our laundry room. It is so unexpected and pretty, and gives lots of light to see stains!
  • My Grandma's cookie jar now holds scraps of fabric. It held cookies for decades before this and I love how it still smells sweet when I open it.
  • I have a narrow coffee table in my Carrie cave that was made from a shoe rack and a wooden sign. It is just the right size for the space!
  • The fun coffee cups I've collected over the years are scattered around my office, each holding pens, pencils, markers, highlighters or paperclips (LOVE!!). Rest assured, I do have plenty of other coffee cups that I actually use daily. :)
  • I have the typewriter that my Dad used in college. It now functions as a decorative piece and also an artwork holder for special creations from our nieces. 


I struggled this week to find and use items differently. I thought about it all week and re-assessed everything....and came up empty. Once I "gave up" on this nudge, I started a new project without making the connection that it was related to the nudge - but in a different way.

I moved fabric pieces that were being stored in the top drawer of my file cabinet to a plastic storage tote under the guest bed. This then provided space to put file folders in the file cabinet. Each folder holds very important papers to me, many of which were scattered in different locations all over the house.

I realized later that this was completing my nudge, only I did it backward! I turned a drawer in my file cabinet from a non-conventional use (fabric storage) into a conventional use (file storage). My rules can be broken! No one said I can't complete a nudge in a different way. I just completed the nudge backward - un-nudged? De-nudged? Degdun ("nudge" backward)??

LESSONS LEARNED: I discovered that I need to be more open to nudges and see what happens naturally. I usually have an idea in my mind of how I think it will go, but I need to be open to other possibilities as well. Rules can be broken! Things may turn out differently than I thought but I will still learn new things and get out of my comfort zone - my ultimate goal. Who would have guessed that the week I look at my household items differently would be the week I learn to think differently?!

NEXT UP: "Read/explore three new blogs". I am excited about this one! As I wander into the world of blogging even more, I want to get new ideas and see what other blogs are doing. The challenge might be limiting myself to only three, or finding the time! Can't wait to see what I learn!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy