Nudge Challenge Week 97 = History

NUDGED: "Learn something about my city's history"

BACKSTORY: I was born and raised in Sioux Falls, and am really proud of this city that I call home. It's a great place to live. I know some of the city's history, but there is always more to learn. I'm going to let curiosity be my guide this week as I discover more about the past.

QUOTE: "We are not makers of history. We are made by history." - Martin Luther King Jr.

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I was surprised by all the resources that are available to learn history. To learn about my city, I could read historical signs posted at various sites, read one of many books published by local authors, check out local museums or even their online exhibits, view photos and collections from state archives, hear stories on several websites after a simple online search, or even just talk to someone older than me who loved through it.

I learned lots of really cool things about my city! Here are some highlights, with references in case you want to read more:  

  • We have a cemetery that is 1,600 years old. Five ancient Indian burial mounds are located at Sherman Park, near the center of the city. A historical marker at the site gives more information too. I visited here this week to read the historical signs and show my respect. The grounds felt sacred. 
  • Sign at Burial Mounds
    Historical Marker

  • Early pioneers Dr. Josiah L. Phillips and his wife Hattie built a large mansion made out of cut Sioux quartzite rock on the top of the bluff overlooking the Sioux River in the late 1800's. The house partially burned in 1910 after being struck by lighting. The family was no longer living there and thought the property would make a good park. They sold the house and 52 acres of land to the City in July 1916 for $15,000. It would become today's Terrace Park.
  • There was a boom in the city in the 1880s due to the quickie divorce. South Dakota had a 90-day waiting period to establish residency and get a divorce. The rest of the country required six months to a year. Between 1887 and 1906, there were 1,124 divorces in Minnehaha County. 
  • The first four-door automobile was invented in Sioux Falls. The aluminum "Fawick Flyer" was created here in 1908 by Thomas Fawick. Teddy Roosevelt rode in a Fawick Flyer during a 1910 parade through the city.  
  • Columbus College was a Catholic boys' boarding school that opened in September 1921. It closed in 1929 during the Great Depression. After being dormant for nearly twenty years, the US Government purchased it for $5 million and it is now the Veterans Memorial Hospital (VA).
  • J.C. Penney, on the corner of 9th Street & Main Avenue, added escalators on March 19, 1953. There were six sets of escalators, three up and three down. The cost to build the escalators was about $180,000. They were torn down, along with the building, on June 18, 1980. At that time, they were the only escalators in South Dakota.

LESSONS LEARNED: It was really hard to learn ONE new thing from history. Once I got started and followed my curiosity, it was easy and fun to keep learning more. 

Looking at all the old photos and trying to visualize how it all used to be, I really wished I could see it in person. I like watching movies showing the past, like "Fried Green Tomatoes". Too bad we will never be able to really see it or experience it again, unless through stories and photos. 

NEXT UP: I will continue to be curious this week through what could be a very difficult nudge: "Learn from the other side". Our nation feels very divided right now. I know how I stand on many issues in politics and religion, but don't spend much time learning the reasons WHY the other side thinks as they do. I will resist the urge to debate this week and lean into my curiosity and desire to learn. It may be helpful to see another perspective...or it may strengthen my case as to why I'm right. Ha! I have a feeling I will be challenged by this nudge!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy