Nudge Challenge Week 88 = Nagging Tasks

NUDGED: "Tackle a nagging task"

BACKSTORY: I have many tasks that are constantly on my to-do list, week after week. These "minor" things annoy me so I consider them "nagging tasks". For some reason, I never get around to completing them, so they are always there continuing to annoy me. Can I break the cycle of suck this week, and accomplish at least one thing?!

QUOTE: "When we accumulate projects on our to-do list, they eat up our attention, even if unconsciously, and even if we never start them." - from "Thrive" by Arianna Huffington

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I have been in a season of tackling projects recently, so I had momentum going into this nudge. I cleaned out a pile of books that I finished reading but don't want to keep, and donated 20 of them to a good cause. I also just finished cleaning through all my papers in a four-drawer file cabinet, which resulted in two bags of paper to be recycled. I am on a roll!

I quickly learned that there is a difference between nagging tasks that are fully completed after working on them, and tasks that you can work on but will never be complete.

I pulled weeds and worked on a large writing project this week, but both of these things fell into the category of not able to be accomplished at one time. I also cleaned our dirty floors and did laundry. All these things are important to do, but will never reach an "end date".

I had to find something to FINISH then.

One of the perpetual goals on my list was to clean my Carrie cave. I spend a lot of time in this special room that houses all of my favorite things. It has been too easy to accumulate clutter though and I had many piles around the room. I wanted to restore order and put everything away, but struggled to do this. I finally tackled it this week and got my room completely organized! Everything is now put away. I am amazed at how much better and more peaceful I feel when my room is not cluttered.

LESSONS LEARNED: I was reminded, again, of an important truth to help restore some peace to my long to-do list (and sanity!). If the task will take under 5 minutes to do, do it right away! Or if the task will provide me relief and peace, then do it right away. Future me will really appreciate the effort.

NEXT UP: Time to focus on healthy habits again this week with the new nudge. It is "Drink half my body weight in ounces of water daily". This will be a challenge! I anticipate drinking lots of water and lots of bathroom breaks this week. Can I start then maintain this healthy habit? Also, can I include coffee as water? :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy