Nudge Challenge Week 85 = Cabinets

NUDGED: "Wipe down the kitchen cabinets"

BACKSTORY: We painted all our kitchen cabinets in the spring of 2018, going from a medium wood color to a dark blue/gray. It was a lot of work but we love it! However, I haven't spent any additional quality time with our kitchen cabinets since then. I know I should wipe them down occasionally...but I don't.

Not all nudges are fun. Some nudges "encourage" me to finish tasks that I don't want to do. It is definitely a challenge! Will I feel joy this week as I wipe down my cabinets? Will it inspire me to do more cleaning?

(taking a minute to pause for knowing laughter)

QUOTE: "Tomorrow becomes never. No matter how small the task, take the first step now!" - Tim Ferriss

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I would rather buy new shoes or make crafts like my previous nudges. That was one thought that went through my head as I used a damp towel and wiped down all the kitchen cabinets. I waited until Thursday night to start this nudge as I was not looking forward to it. But I did it!

I had plenty of time to think as I worked since I forced myself not to listen to music or an audiobook. My thoughts ranged from "wow, my arm really hurts" to "I can't believe they were this dirty and dusty" to fond memories of painting them (ha!).

I noticed the paint chipped and needed to be retouched in some areas. I knew that if I didn't take care of it now, I wouldn't want to do it later. I got out a small paintbrush and the paint can, and took care of the small areas that needed more attention. I actually really enjoyed this quiet time and was able to think.

Picture of a paint can and kitchen cabinets

Picture of a paintbrush and cabinets

I felt so proud when I was done and stood back to survey my work. It was worth 30 minutes of my time!

LESSONS LEARNED: It wasn't until I had a moment of peace and quiet that I realized just how little quiet I have in my life right now. My day is filled with noise and thoughts - from television, audiobooks, podcasts, coworkers, phone calls, social media, etc. I don't take time to be alone with my own thoughts very much. I even got an answer to a problem I have been struggling with during this quiet time of painting. Apparently, just slowing down and mentally resting has great benefits! 

NEXT UP: I drew the next nudge today for the new week - "use good china and glasses". We have two cabinets full of our "good dishes" that get used maybe once a year or less (when we host holiday meals). What if I didn't have to wait for a special occasion to use fancy things?! What other things am I holding on to for just the right time? It's time to use it this week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy