Nudge Challenge Week 70 = Immersion

NUDGED: "Immerse myself in one big project"

BACKSTORY: The idea for this nudge came from Kathleen Guthrie Woods' 2.0 list of nudges. In the past, I have enjoyed working on big projects and losing track of time as I devote myself to accomplishing something awesome. It usually gets messy and chaotic while in the midst of it, but it always gets better and I have a huge sense of satisfaction when I am done.

This nudge inspired me to find a big project that has been on my to do list for sometime, then actually do it. It doesn't matter how long it will take me or how messy it gets, my goal was to complete something big!

QUOTE: "A little progress each day adds up to big results." - Author Unknown

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK:  I encountered the big question right away: what is the big project that I want to tackle? I made a list of ideas, then felt very indecisive as I tried to pick one.

I ended up working on multiple "big projects".

1) This week, I went through my file cabinets to try to purge papers I didn't need. A few items I scanned and saved electronically, some I saved, and others I tossed. My recycling bin and pile to be shredded grew fast!

2) I have a few blankets to finish crocheting on my to-do list before spring birthdays. I have been feeling behind for not working on them, so I found time this week to crochet blankets while listening to a really interesting audiobook from the library ("Being Mortal" if you are curious!). This week, I finished the book (9 hours of audio!) and finished one and a half blankets!

3) While using a different computer at work to make a large-format scan, I noticed that computer had the capability to read 3.5" floppy disks. That gave me an idea! That night, I found my stack of floppy disks that I knew I had documents on that I wanted to save, but didn't know how to do it. I took them to work and spent my lunch hour on Friday saving all the files to a USB drive. Looking through the files, it was a blast from the past to see what I was thinking and doing 20 years ago! 

LESSONS LEARNED: While I did get a lot done this week when I made the decision to work on big projects, I did realize a valuable lesson about myself too. I struggle with focus. I try to do too many things at one time and instead of getting them all done, I don't fully accomplish any of the projects. Quantity is not always better than quality. I need to look at my big goals list again and instead of trying to work on all of them at once (overwhelming!!), I need to pick a few to really focus on.

NEXT UP: I drew another new nudge for the week that was just added to my nudges box recently. The new nudge is "Spend 5 minutes in silent prayer for 5 days." Just what I need! I have been feeling convicted that I don't spend enough time in silent prayer with God. I usually spend my entire prayer time talking to God, then moving on to something else before I hear from Him. This would never work for a relationship! This is the week to embrace the silence. To wait. To hear from Him.


EXTRA NUDGES: I am amazed to find that this project of nudges is inspiring me to do more and be brave, as I am completing future nudge ideas before they are drawn. I have completed four nudges that are waiting in my wooden box right now...because I could! My plan is to just re-draw a new nudge whenever I draw the already completed ones.

Nudges accomplished:

1) I checked out a new bookstore last Saturday. I went to Full Circle Book Co-Op in Sioux Falls and bought three books, spending $10. I drive by this store every morning on my way to work, so it was fun to actually go inside and check it out. I like to support independent bookstores and downtown retailers.

2) I sat in the sauna at the gym, and got sweaty. I have thought about trying this in the past, but I finally did it and really liked it. My body really likes heat!

3) I went swimming at both pools in our fitness membership. I tried out the pools and hot tubs, even though I was nervous to go and be seen in a swimming suit.

4) I ate from a food truck. This was done awhile ago, but I forgot the nudge was still waiting to be drawn. Done!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy