Nudge Challenge Week 68 = Engineering Study

NUDGED: "Learn engineering terms"

BACKSTORY: My education and training is in journalism and sociology, but I work for a civil engineering company. I have been with the company for many years and have picked up some of the highly technical things, but there are other terms that I have no idea what they mean. I am not required to learn it as part of my job, but I know it will be helpful for me to understand even a little bit more. It's time to learn!

QUOTE: "Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can; there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did." - Sarah Caldwell

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I won't go into all the details, but I spent time this week looking up various engineering terms I have heard often at work. This includes culvert (cast-in-place, precast and HDPE), force mains, drainage basins, BMPs, silt fence, catch basins/drop inlets, and blue tops.

I found myself saying "ah ha!" a lot as it finally made sense. I typed a list of all the new things I learned so I can refer to it later.

Picture of a concrete box culvert
A picture taken by a coworker of a concrete box culvert. I know what that is now!!!

LESSONS LEARNED: 1) Pictures are helpful for me as I am a visual learner.  2) I am grateful for Wikipedia and the ability to research virtually any topic/item.  3) There is still more I don't know, but I now feel encouraged to take a quick break and look something up.

NEXT UP: A new nudge was drawn for the week: "Say 'no' to something". I did a nudge week previously where I said "yes" to new opportunities, but sometimes you have to say "no." I am not good at it, so we'll see what happens this week! I'm curious too!


BONUS: And I added some new nudges to my wooden box this week! I looked through my list of yearly/life goals and determined which ones would work for one-week "trials" (AKA nudges) to get me started. Some new nudges include:
  • Spend 5 minutes in silent prayer for 5 days
  • Write at least one thought and one lesson for each day
  • Finish writing the alphabet in handlettering
  • Crochet something new
  • Make a craft from Pinterest
  • Practice yoga sun salutations each morning
  • Drink half my body weight in water (in ounces) each day
The challenges/nudges will continue!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy