Nudge Challenge Week 67 = Hamilton

NUDGED: "Listen to the Hamilton soundtrack"

BACKSTORY: Word of mouth, Facebook posts, and a short singing clip in a credit card commercial all peaked my interest for the music of "Hamilton". The play is very popular and I heard the music was fantastic, but had no first-hand knowledge of it. Time to actually listen to it instead of hearing about it!

QUOTE: "Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." - Johnny Depp

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: Per online research, I learned that the book, music and lyrics for "Hamilton" were written by Lin-Manuel Miranda. The music includes hip hop, R&B, pop, soul and traditional-style show tunes, and tells the story of "America then, as told by America now". It opened on Broadway on August 6, 2015, and has won many, many awards since then.

I found the entire soundtrack online and listened to it all week. It was 2 hours 22 minutes long, so I listened to it whenever I had the time - when I was crocheting, walking on the treadmill, doing my hair and makeup in the morning, and relaxing after a long day. 

The music was amazing! I really liked the songs, the harmonies, and all the different styles mixed together to tell a story. The music stayed in my head all week, which was strange considering it was the first time I've heard it.

In full disclosure, there were a couple things I encountered while listening that were not awesome: 1) ads continuously interrupted the music and annoyed me, and 2) I was confused without the dialog and didn't understand the full story.

It made me want to see the actual show, with dialog and music together (and no annoying commercial breaks!). The touring performance does not have any stops near me. Apparently, a movie may be in the works as a stage performance with the original cast was filmed in 2016. I will have to wait patiently for that to come out in the future!

LESSONS LEARNED: Why is a Midwestern girl interested in a New York Broadway play that was first performed over four years ago? Passion. (My word for 2020!)  People loved it and talked about it. I love hearing people talk about what they are passionate about and what gives them joy. I need to talk more about the things that interest me too!

NEXT UP: I actually drew several nudges for the week before I found one that works. Many of them are season-sensitive and I can't do them in the middle of winter. One thing (play a game on the Xbox) is not possible due to our game system dying. I kept drawing until I found a nudge that worked for the week. It is "learn engineering terms". I probably should have done this 14 years ago when I first started my job at a civil engineering company. I have picked up a few terms over the years, but I hope to learn much more when I actually study it on my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy