Nudge Challenge Week 48 = Capitals

NUDGED: "Learn the capitals of every state"

BACKSTORY:  This may sound too easy for some people, but it is something I didn't learn (or retain!) from my school days. I can recite all the 50 states in alphabetical order, but I can't name more than a few capitals. It bothers me. It feels like something I should know. It will be a challenge to see how well I can learn and retain information!

To continue, please step inside my personal learning center. It is a judgment free zone!

QUOTE: "Commit yourself to lifelong learning. The most valuable asset you'll ever have is your mind and what you put into it." - Brian Tracy

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK:

Memorization, repetition and flash cards are what my week included. I haven't made flash cards since I was in college (a long time ago!) and I actually enjoyed making them! I'm weird....oh wait, no judgment! I am a visual learner so they really helped me to memorize the 50 cities.

I also wrote the full list of states and capitals in my small notebook that I always carry with me, and reviewed it whenever I had time. I had to wait for a chiropractic appointment, and reviewed the list while I waited.

I reviewed the list again before my appointment to get my hair cut and colored. My hair stylist knows about my Nudges Project and asked me what the nudge was for this week. I was embarrassed to tell her thinking it sounded amateur and easy, but she was really supportive. She admitted that she doesn't know where many countries are and wants to learn someday. No judgment zone!

In the end, I learned all the capitals! I went through my flash cards to prove it. I am so proud of myself that my hard work paid off. It may sound like useless knowledge for my everyday life, but I am proud to have the information. You never know when it will come in handy!

LESSONS LEARNED:

1) It's not too late to learn! I can still learn things, for my own benefit. And it doesn't have to be assigned by a teacher or have a test afterward for it to be considered learning. I can follow my curiosity.

2) I really enjoy learning. I never thought I would miss my days of school and learning new things, but I do. I want to a lifelong learner, and will continue to learn new things.

NEXT UP: The new nudge is to "go to a new place in my city". I decided to try this nudge a few months ago after my patriotic week. I went to two local places that week that I had never been to before, and realized how many more places are within my city that I am missing. It's time to try a new place!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy