Nudge Challenge Week 45 = Posture

NUDGE: "Focus on my posture"

BACKSTORY: Let's try this again (second week)! I've always known posture is important, but I seem to be more aware of it as I age. My job requires me to sit in front of a computer at a desk 95% of the work day. All that sitting takes wears on my body, but it is worse when my posture is bad. I  slump in my chair or sit with my chin rested on my left hand while my right hand is using the mouse. I have been having back pain, which I'm sure is partially caused by bad sitting all day. This week, I wanted to be super aware of my posture and work to correct it. Would it make any difference? Would some of the pain go away? Are there ways to help my back feel better after so much sitting?

QUOTE: "Posture is important! Look less like a comma and more like an exclamation mark!" - Taylor-Kevin Isaacs

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I knew my posture was not good, so I focused on what I could do to improve it. I made sure to sit up straight in my chair at work this week and tried to walk standing taller, with my shoulder blades down and back. It didn't feel natural.

I did some online searches to get more information and learn some helpful stretches. I found some great resources, including Posture Direct, Sitting Solution, and Nerd Fitness.

One website suggested to get up and move every hour, doing simple stretches as you do. This worked well with my goal of trying to get more steps each day with my FitBit, so I took more walks around the office (and I worked on my walking posture too!). I figured my coworkers would think I was weird for walking around the office so often, but no one even noticed. I used that time to deliver messages and ask questions (even though I could do that over email), get supplies, fill up my water bottle, and consequently, take many potty breaks (too much water!).

I incorporated four simple stretches that I learned from the Sitting Solution website into my work day. These are meant to help stretch you back muscles after so much sitting. I did these in the bathroom so no one would see me and think I was weird (ha!). I was really surprised at how much better I felt after doing these stretches, especially in my tight upper back. I will continue to work on these then and see if I continue to improve! 

LESSONS LEARNED: It's not too late to make changes in my posture. Continue to watch and monitor the position of my body to make adjustments. Continue to take breaks during the work day to stretch.

NEXT UP: The next nudge pulled is "wear nice jewelry". I have lots of necklaces, bracelets and rings, but seem to cycle through the same ones. I have many pieces that I don't wear often (or ever) because they are "too flashy". It's time! This week, I will wear the fancy pieces I own. (It will also give me a chance to clean through my jewelry box!).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy