Nudge Challenge Week 44 = Less is More

SCHEDULED NUDGE: "Focus on my posture"
NEW NUDGE: "Limit the number of emails and work task list to 25 or less items"

BACKSTORY: I tried this week to focus on my posture (the scheduled nudge) but I was much more interested in working to simplify my life per the book I just finished. It only took me a few hours to realize my posture stinks most of the time (ha!) and is something to work on in the future...but not this week. I followed my interests and switched the nudge for the week. It's my project and I can decide the rules for myself! I will focus on my posture next week then.

I recently finished reading the book "The Power of Less" by Leo Babauta and it really helped me to reconsider how I use technology. The author recommends setting limits to how much we consume and do, and in doing so, we are happier, less stressed, and more productive. I was convicted and inspired as I read and wanted to try his suggestions to see how they worked in my life. I was just finishing the book when I pulled a new nudge for this week, against my better judgment. I should have accepted my feelings and assigned this nudge instead!

I have long felt overwhelmed by too much information. The explosion of technology and the internet has been awesome and awful. I like being able to communicate easily with friends and family, and enjoy the ability to find an answer to any question I can think of in seconds. But, I struggle to find a balance in using technology to benefit my life and not being completely overwhelmed by it all (too much information, too many emails and texts, etc).

I created a new nudge based on a few action steps from the book. This week, I wanted to process my email inboxes (3 total) to 25 messages or less in each one (and ideally to zero in the future!). I also wanted to get my work task list under 25 items. It would be a challenge for sure, but would make me feel much less stressed in the future if it was accomplished!


QUOTE: "There's a better way than living in your e-mail inbox. Minimize your time spent doing email, transform your email effectiveness by setting limitations, and become an email master by getting your inbox to empty." - Leo Babauta in "The Power of Less"


HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I worked hard to accomplish my goals this week. I liked that I had a firm number to shoot for = 25. I have three email accounts (two personal, one work) and all had way too many emails in the inboxes.  My work task list started at 61 items.

Per the author's suggestions, I worked through my email inboxes from the top to the bottom, one email at a time. I made a quick decision with each one - put the item on my to-do list and move to a folder, archive for later reference, reply then move to a folder, or delete. Blog subscriptions were cancelled as I converted to a blog reader program. And I deleted many, many emails!

I didn't get to zero messages in the inboxes (yet!) but emails are being handled and moved/deleted. It was a challenge for me as I was forced to confront tasks I've been putting off. I had to make decisions too. I was amazed at how freeing it was to delete emails and see a smaller list. By the end of the week, one personal email account had 20 messages, the other personal account had 23, and my work email had 14. I will continue to work on reducing messages until I get to zero in each one!

I made progress on my work to-do list as well. I was super productive this week and actually accomplished quick tasks that have been hanging on my list forever. Most only took a few minutes to do! I delegated some items to others. I deleted some tasks that were not important. I discovered I had some tasks duplicated. At the end of the day on Friday, my work task list was at 24 items! First time in a LONG time!!


LESSONS LEARNED:
1) Follow my current interests for nudges, even if that means not selecting a new nudge for the week. I will be more excited about it and will be more willing to complete the nudge. This is my project so I should feel free to make revisions that feel right for me.

2) As I said above, I liked having a specific number to complete. I knew if I was making progress or not. I need to re-work some of my nudges then to make them specific and actionable.


NEXT UP: Let's try this again! I will be working on the nudge I pulled last week - to "focus on my posture". It will be challenging as I know I have lots of room for improvement! Oddly enough, it is not a specific request like the lesson I learned this week (see #2 above) but I will work on it to see if I can make some progress this week. 

Comments

  1. That is impressive!! I've tried deleting email messages (from two accounts, plus never checked a third I have - oops!) every summer and never get them that low! I also need to work on deleting text messages... Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't think it was possible either, but I was determined to do it! It is much better now. But, an abundance of text messages is another issue I have too.....I need to work on that eventually!! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy