Nudge Challenge Week 41 = Truth

NUDGED: "Tell the truth - no lying for one week"

BACKSTORY: It's so easy to exaggerate or tell a little white lie to save someone's feelings. I wanted to examine how much I do this in my life and to be brave by telling the truth all the time, even when it hurts. I have to admit, I was apprehensive about this week. What if someone asked me what I thought of her new bad haircut? What would I say?!

QUOTE: "Honesty is more than not lying. It is truth telling, truth speaking, truth living, and truth loving." - James E. Faust

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: This week turned out to be pretty uneventful for me. I didn't have many ah-ha moments or (luckily!) any moments where the truth hurt someone. Because I was paying attention to it, I did have three moments when I pondered my view of truth:

1) In a casual conversation with a guy about the same age as me, he suggested when people ask me my age to add 10 years instead of lying about being "29 still". He insists it works better this way, that people will compliment you on how good you look for your age then instead of knowing you are lying. Ha! I don't think I will be trying this anytime soon! 

2) I noticed someone was clearly upset but when I asked what was wrong, he stated "I'm fine". It hit me that I do this also, say that I'm fine when I am clearly not. Technically, it is a lie but usually it is said when I do not want to discuss whatever is bothering me or I am still trying to figure it out. Maybe "I'm fine" is not the correct way to answer then - be honest?!

3) I went geocaching with my family and logged what happened at each site. It was hard to log DNF (did not find) but I wanted to be truthful. Some people never log these but I think it is important to let the owner know and not omit the truth because it makes you look better.

LESSONS LEARNED: Be honest (surprise, hih?!). Telling the truth can be hard and make me feel vulnerable, but it really is the best policy.

NEXT UP: The new nudge that was drawn is "What makes me laugh? Laugh out loud this week". Just what I need after a stressful last week. Looking forward to laughing then! I don't laugh out loud often though so that may be more challenging than it seems!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy