Nudge Challenge Week 30 = Moments of Joy

NUDGED: "List 3 moments of joy every day this week"

BACKSTORY: This nudge came from the book "Option B" by Sheryl Sandberg that I recently read. She lost her husband very suddenly so she was working through grief and figuring out how to continue on with her life and future without him. She began a process of writing 3 moments of joy every day, which helped her to notice joy and feel grateful. I liked this idea when I read it and added it to my own journaling moments, but it didn't last. For this nudge, I want to make this daily practice a habit and want to discover what things give me joy throughout a normal day/week.

QUOTE: "Joy does not simply happen to us. We have to choose joy and keep choosing it every day." - Henri J.M. Nouwen

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: This nudge was relatively straight-forward and easy to start and continue. Each evening before bed, I made a practice of mentally reviewing my day and listing the moments of joy that occurred.

I always had more than 3 things to list! In fact, when the week ended, I listed 57 moments in all. Wow! That was way more than I thought!

I found joy in the quiet moments of Bible study and reading. It was joyful to spend time with family and friends. I found joy in changing my schedule when I watched a 20-minute tv episode on Netflix over my lunch hour instead of my regular home improvement show, while I ate a lunch I normally don't have. I found joy talking to friends and getting an email from someone I love hearing from. I found joy planting flowers in my backyard and spending time in nature. I found joy in celebrating National Pizza Party Day at work with many of my coworkers.

LESSONS LEARNED: For me, I learned this week that joy is found when I notice it, in spontaneity, and in fun events that make me smile. To continue to have more joy in my life, I want to continue to write down these moments so I notice them and continue to do fun things that I enjoy. It makes my days better!

NEXT UP: "Get 8 hours of sleep every night for one week". Good timing on this nudge as I have been more flexible with my sleep schedule recently, going to bed later than I should. I wonder how I will function when I get enough sleep? Will I still drink as much coffee? (Answer: YES!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy