Nudge Challenge Week 29 = Dance

NUDGED: "Dance"

BACKSTORY: I am not a good dancer so I don't dance often. I've always wanted to be better at it. My husband and I took a four-week dance class one spring and had a great time, but we have danced very little together since then. I was curious if adding dancing to my life would give me more joy. Could I improve my skills and feel more comfortable in one week?

QUOTE: (from a devotional that I read this morning!) "Failing doesn't make you a failure. Trying something new makes you brave." - Annie F. Downs in "100 Days to Brave"

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: I started the week by making a list (not a surprise for this compulsive list-maker!). I listed many things I could do to work on this nudge, including short dance breaks at work (like Grey's Anatomy I'm told), dancing with my husband, finding a how-to dance video and practicing, or just turning on music and letting myself move. I watched a short video of movie dancing scenes to get me ready too!

I had time one evening to try. I used Youtube and searched for different how-to dancing videos then practiced along (basic dance moves). From there, I got more creative and learned to dance the Foxtrot, a simple line dance, and the Electric Slide. Ha! I fumbled around and discovered quickly how uncoordinated I can be, but it was fun to move!

I hoped to do more dancing this week, but it never materialized. When stressed at work, I decided to complain or pray instead - dancing didn't even cross my mind. I hope to do more in the future then.

LESSONS LEARNED: Dancing makes me smile even when I am not good at it. I am thankful for the internet with lots of helpful videos, and for curtains for privacy! I didn't become any better at it this week, but I learned that my skill doesn't matter as much as the joy it gives me while doing it.

NEXT UP: "List 3 moments of joy every day this week". Good one! I started doing this practice a few months ago when I came across this idea in a book, but have stopped. This will be good to help me notice joy in my every day moments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy