Nudge Challenge Week 28 = Sit Still

NUDGED: "Go to a park for 30 minutes; sit, breathe, do nothing"

BACKSTORY: The idea for this nudge came from the creator of the nudges challenge, who completed this nudge as part of her project. I liked the idea of incorporating intentional quietness into my (somewhat) busy schedule, but I knew it would be a challenge for me too! Sitting still without anything for 30 minutes?! I honestly didn't know if I could do it!

QUOTES: "All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone," said Blaise Pascal.   /   "When we have learned to sit quietly in a room alone, we can maintain that inner connection that allows life to proceed from the inside out, whether we are alone or in a crowd of screaming people," said Arianna Huffington in "Thrive".

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK: It took me two weeks to complete this nudge, double the normal time. I was at a conference for part of one week and had a busy schedule on the other days, then the weather didn't cooperate when I was available (late April snow!).

I did my best to make it happen. I sat on an empty bench at Falls Park one cold, windy, overcast Sunday afternoon. It was a struggle to stay out for 15 minutes. My eyes were watering with the cold. I was shivering and sitting on my hands to keep them warm. My spring jacket was not warm enough! I managed to stay 15 minutes, then promised I would get in another 15 minutes sometime this week (hopefully in better weather!).

The bench at Falls Park on a cold day

Oddly enough, this sculpture was near my thinking spot!
As I anticipated, during my first "bench time", I missed having a book to read, paper to write down all my thoughts, and my cell phone to keep me entertained. I longed for a distraction. It was hard to sit alone, in silence. I felt self-conscious being alone. I spent my time people-watching, listening to a song playing non-stop in my head, and thinking/breathing.

I spent 20 minutes sitting on a bench alone at another park in town later in the week, and I am so glad I did! I went on Friday evening to the Japanese Gardens at Terrace Park. It was a busy week for me and my soul needed this quiet time of reflection. The weather was beautiful! I sat quietly watching the ducks and ripples in the water. I said a prayer then spent the rest of the time being quiet. I was reminded of vacations in the Caribbean and quiet evenings camping. My life felt more peaceful and balanced afterward.

View from bench #2 in Japanese Gardens, looking at Covell Lake

LESSONS LEARNED: 
  • Sometimes my nudges are at the mercy of other factors I cannot control (weather, scheduling). 
  • The timing of doing some nudges is important. My two bench times were very different. I am glad I tried it again! 
  • It's okay to spend time with just my thoughts, not trying to do something all the time. 
  • I need more breathing space in my schedule, time to do nothing but sit and think. Reflection time is just as important as other scheduled activities, and should not be overlooked. I need it to find peace and make sense of this fast-paced crazy world. 
NEXT UP: "Dance". Yes! I'm excited for this nudge but a little anxious. I am not a great dancer and don't spend much time doing it, but I enjoy moving my body when it happens. I will try to fit more "dance breaks" into my day to see if it produces more joy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy