Nudge Challenge Week 27 = Adventures in Food

NUDGED: "Try a new food from a menu"

BACKSTORY: I am not known to be adventurous with what I eat. My tendency is to find foods that I like on menus and continue to select the same thing each time we go to that restaurant. I play it safe. The goal behind this whole nudging challenge is to get me out of my comfort zone. This week, I want to try a new food item from a menu at a restaurant - something out of my normal selections.  

QUOTE: "Use everything as an opportunity to understand, grow, and expand." - Unknown


HIGHLIGHTS OF THE WEEK:

For over two years now, my husband and I have been trying new restaurants in our city. We made a list of all the places we haven't eaten at until that point, and included restaurants that recently opened. We intend to try all of them! We want to support new businesses and find new favorite places to eat. It is a slow process though as we usually only go out to a new place once a week, and so many places close/open that our list is constantly changing.

It was Kevin's turn this week to pick a new restaurant off our list, and he is much more adventurous with food than I am. He knew about this nudge and picked the Ethiopian restaurant, Lalibela. It had excellent reviews and would definitely get me out of my comfort zone!

We dined there on Sunday night and the place was not too busy. I was overwhelmed by the menu and didn't know what to order. Luckily, our waitress was very helpful and suggested we stick between numbers 23-26 on the menu. We shared an appetizer (Chicken Sambusa) which was very good, and consisted of shredded chicken in a pastry and dipped in something similar to hot sauce.

For the main course, my husband had Beef Tibs (#23) and I had Ydoro Tibs (#26). My plate had marinated chicken with peppers, tomatoes, onion, and spices in a light sauce (but not too spicy!). Kevin's was the same only with beef instead of chicken. It was served with lettuce and on top of injera (thin spongy bread). There was no silverware on the table so we were instructed to eat it with our hands using the injera. I was hesitant at first, but got the hang of it quickly. It was delicious, and very filling! I would (and have already!) recommended the restaurant to others to try.

Yummy food at Lalibela (Ydoro Tibs)

LESSON LEARNED: Being adventurous with food choices is not difficult. Pick a new item from a menu or take a serving of something new from a buffet. What's the worst that can happen? If I don't like it, then I learned a lesson of what not to get in the future. Otherwise, I may find a new restaurant or food that I like and can eat it again....until I try something else new to try. :)

NEXT UP: I am at a conference for part of the upcoming week, so fitting this nudge in might prove challenging. I will try! The next nudge is "go to a park for 30 minutes; sit, breathe, do nothing". Sounds fun/difficult!

HAPPY EASTER! Have a good day, all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1, Nudge 1 = "Change My Routine"

Nudge Challenge Week 81 = Picnic

Nudge Challenge Week 25 = Capturing Joy